WANTED - Budget amplifier for Quad ESL 57s

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Thor

WANTED - Budget amplifier for Quad ESL 57s

Post by Thor »

Hi folks

Looking for a low cost way to amplify a pair of soon-to-be-mine Quad ESL 57s One Thing refurbished speakers.

Any thoughts from the Tir community would be very much appreciated.

Obviously Tony's Jadis would be ideal but unfortunately it's completely out of my budget at present!!

I've always had a soft spot for the Nait 5is and Rega Brios of this world but no idea if they'd be suitable.

I previously had a Primare I30 which I really liked but not sure if this or it's more affordable predecessor the A30.1 would be suitable.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: WANTED - Budget amplifier for Quad ESL 57s

Post by Fran »

Something like a >10W valve amp would work well here. Something with EL34s - jadis orchestra, primaluna maybe.
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, personally I wouldn't try budget solid state with ESLs as the amp needs to be very good to deal with the impedance curve. Fran had good suggestions there. A used Audio Innovations perhaps? Used GRAAF GM20 if you can find one!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

yep, I'd be looking at affordable tube amps rather than solid state. They just sound right together in my very very humble opinion!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

there was a lad on adverts with an audio innovations 500 amp there recently. It was around 800 or so I think.

edit: yes 800

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/audio ... r/15125896
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

A Series 500 was exactly the amp I was thinking of. I have one at home that I don't think I'll ever manage to part with. I see the one advertised is the better version than the one I own, which makes it a bit of a hifi legend. Definitely worth considering.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
james

Post by james »

Here is a list of suitable amps ..

http://quadesl.org/index.php/hard-cor ... ngruber

[Its a bit old ..]

--

Its used to be that the speaker could blow certain amps if they could not drive a capacitance load. I think modern amps are better but be careful that any amp you pick is suitable. I don't really know how you can find this out but maybe contact the amp manufacturer. (I suspect quad will just tell you to use a quad amp).
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
tony

Post by tony »

Your 100% right James but Mick will have no problem with the amps he has already. The speakers were sold with the OTA widgets which are designed to deal with that very issue.
james wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm Here is a list of suitable amps ..

http://quadesl.org/index.php/hard-cor ... ngruber

[Its a bit old ..]

--

Its used to be that the speaker could blow certain amps if they could not drive a capacitance load. I think modern amps are better but be careful that any amp you pick is suitable. I don't really know how you can find this out but maybe contact the amp manufacturer. (I suspect quad will just tell you to use a quad amp).
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Unfortunately my Quad dreams lie in smouldering ruins.

All was fine until I showed my wife what ESL 57s actually look like........

Gutted to miss the opportunity to own such a wonderful set of speakers but grateful to Tony for being so understanding.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yup, that happens. Sorry to hear it all the same, Thor.