new speakers!

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Ivor

new speakers!

Post by Ivor »

I seem to be changing speakers quite often these days, at least by my own slow moving standards. I'm always very happy with the changes, although I prefer to call them "upgrades", but I used to be someone who kept speakers for years. And years, and years. I suspect these latest room mates will be around for quite a long time.

I'd have to go back about fifteen years to remember having what would be generally called "decent" speakers. Big Tannoys, AE 109s or B&W somethings. Then came Quad electrostatics. Then bigger Quad electrostatics. Frankly that marque moved the bar so high I thought I was done. Silly me. Those handsome fellows at Eists produced a more room friendly speaker that had much of the Quad loveliness with a little extra volume and bass. I'll have a pair in walnut please. Thanks.

Then, some time later, I spotted a pair of old but well loved Rogers LS6a stand-mount speakers that caught my eye. Why would I be drawn to them? Well now, some years before that Noel Cloney sat me down in from of a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 speakers. He was actually demoing some other amp or source but they was quickly snubbed as I drooled on the wipe clean couch (very wise investment that) listening to the Harbeths. Noel happily obliged my sonic preoccupation with a wide range of music. Opera, classical, acoustic country, electronica, hard core deep bass electronica, rock, jazz and blues. The speakers handled them all as a sumo wrestler would handle a speed walker. Nothing phased them (no geeky pun intended), they went high, low and wide. The reason I bought the aforementioned Rogers was that while Harbeths are the original BBC domestic monitor the Rogers are built on the very same DNA. The Rogers would keep me going until...

Last week I spotted the very same Harbeths on Cloney's pre-owned/Ex Demo section so I went away and did my sums. The bottom line is by Friday morning they were sitting in my man lounge ( I've evolved beyond you cave dwellers). They really are every bit as clear and accommodating as I remember. The bass is not subterranean but it is accurate, that's something I am quite happy with as Quad, Eist and Rogers are my yardstick. I'm sure with a little more experimentation with positioning I can get more bass out of them but it really isn't an issue. What bass that is there is realistic and pin point precise.

Since Friday I've mostly been throwing CDs at it, simply for quick and easy selection of well known test tracks. As that phase is passing I'm moving more toward vinyl and the sound is ever better. The speakers are quite choosy about the material fed to them, they will show up anything shoddy without mercy but well recorded music is embraced and osculated before it reaches your ears. Subtle details are revealed subtlety. High frequencies, many previously unheard, simply hang there never sharp or spitting. I thought I knew imagery but this is something else. Voices have chest, spittle and bone. Singers seem to be standing in my room signing only to me. The fact that so many singers I like are dead means that can be a little disturbing but it's a small price to pay.

They're not for everyone. Some may say they're "polite", and I suppose they are in the same way an American Highway Patrolman might ask you to "step out of the vehicle sir" is polite. They may be bass-shy but frankly they go deep enough for me. They are rated at 40Hz but my ears think a bit lower. I've thrown upright bass, electric bass, synth bass and organ bass at them and they coped well enough for me.
I don't expect to be changing speakers again for a long time. No really. I promised the wife an' all.

DSCF0030 (1021 x 817).jpg
DSCF0030 (1021 x 817).jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Re: new speakers!

Post by Fran »

Good luck with them!!! Will have to have an aul demo of them soon
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I had to look up "osculated"
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 pm I had to look up "osculated"
It's French. Sorta.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nice work, and the best description of "polite" I've seen! Congratulations on the new speakers, Ivor. Sounds like the itch is well-and-truly scratched

For now...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 am Nice work, and the best description of "polite" I've seen! Congratulations on the new speakers, Ivor. Sounds like the itch is well-and-truly scratched

For now...
Feel free to drop in if you're in the vicinity.

mick

Post by mick »

It is good to have speakers that you can live with long term. I have gone through a similar experience to yourself.
I had Spendor SP1/2's for years. Then Quad 989"s for years and years. I have had Harbeth Super HL5 plus for the last year and find them very fine speakers. They are well integrated with a smooth and detailed top end. The mids are exceptional and I find the bass to be powerful with plenty of weight.
I must say I don't find the bass to be shy at all. I think the the tone and timbre of instruments are excellent. The portrayal of voices is one of the real positives of these speakers.
The Harbeths are real keepers and I hope you enjoy the as much as I do.
Good listening.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thanks for the reassurance Mick! (Long time no see!)
Yeah, we've had a similar path and I'm not surprised you've ended up with, and are happy with, the Harbeths.
Thanks.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm
Diapason wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 am Nice work, and the best description of "polite" I've seen! Congratulations on the new speakers, Ivor. Sounds like the itch is well-and-truly scratched

For now...
Might just do that. Especially now that I'm not getting any at home...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 pm
Ivor wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

For now...
Might just do that. Especially now that I'm not getting any at home...
Too much information Si.