new speakers!

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Ivor

Re: new speakers!

Post by Ivor »

Terry wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 pmWell wear Ivor.
Thanks Terry.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mick

Post by mick »

Ivor wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:42 pm
mick wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Yep, after a little bit more tweaking on position I've found there's actually loads of bass. It's very much dependant on the recording (well duh!) but it's there alright. I think I was swayed by the many reviews saying they are a little restricted on bass and some owners ever use a sub alongside. Since writing this post I saw in Stereophile's recommended components they're listed alongside electrostatics in the restricted bass category. As with electrostatics that's a little unfair.
As you say Ivor, I don't see there is a problem with the bass. It is very detailed but well controlled. There is no boominess or flabbiness. I think sometimes listeners confuse that with lack of bass presence.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Congratulations on your recent purchase Ivor. I hope they give you many years of listening pleasure.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:24 pm Congratulations on your recent purchase Ivor. I hope they give you many years of listening pleasure.
Thanks Sean, after two weeks I'm still sitting here with a big grin on my face!

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Forum has been quiet for a good while, I have dipped in and out but somehow missed this thread! Congrats Ivor have heard a set in Scalford a few years ago smaller ones than yours but really liked them. They were on the list to hear at some point but no one seemed to go for them over here. Will be over for a listen.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:12 am Forum has been quiet for a good while, I have dipped in and out but somehow missed this thread! Congrats Ivor have heard a set in Scalford a few years ago smaller ones than yours but really liked them. They were on the list to hear at some point but no one seemed to go for them over here. Will be over for a listen.
You can even bring Decllan ;)

tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 am You can even bring Decllan ;)
Woof Woof! Will he be safe? The little lamb he dominated on his last visit I suspect is a bit more intimidating now?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am
Ivor wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 am You can even bring Decllan ;)
Woof Woof! Will he be safe? The little lamb he dominated on his last visit I suspect is a bit more intimidating now?
Not intimidating at all but quite a bit bigger.

barryb5

Post by barryb5 »

Nice to see these gone to a good home - these were previously my speakers and provided many an hour's listening enjoyment. Testament to their good qualities is the fact I've stayed with the same manufacturer, now owning the Plus, though on some material I pine for the slightly more forgiving upper mids on these. Can't have it all, I suppose, and great speakers both. Enjoy. Now, I should probably mark that private ad as sold!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

barryb5 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:08 pm Nice to see these gone to a good home - these were previously my speakers and provided many an hour's listening enjoyment. Testament to their good qualities is the fact I've stayed with the same manufacturer, now owning the Plus, though on some material I pine for the slightly more forgiving upper mids on these. Can't have it all, I suppose, and great speakers both. Enjoy. Now, I should probably mark that private ad as sold!
they are great all round speakers, they're in such good nick I actually thought they were shop demo models they're a credit to you! I'm pretty sure I heard the exact same ones years ago in the shop, perhaps before you bought them. They do continue to astound. Music I thought I new inside out is revealing more and more.