NOT QUITE NEVER AGAIN, THE GROUP BUY DAC BUILD

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: NOT QUITE NEVER AGAIN, THE GROUP BUY DAC BUILD

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 pm Was hoping one traffo would work so we can shove it over to the Supercap side, that is where the AC in is on the SD Player unit as well.
The traffo diameter i modelled was at 83mm so we could even go bigger.

If only one used and still keep the DAC board side of the case free to run the audio out down the same side, again this is where the RCA outs are in the SD Player unit.

I had been running off the standard on-board clock until now, had not hooked up the NDKs that i had soldered onto a reclocker board yet.
I expect any clocks are better than what we have on the standard board.
the on board clocks are terrible, if u get the ndks tested let us know the outcome
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tx could be 90mm dia

was thinking is their any cases at modushop.biz suitable?

ive just finished cleaning up and short testing those boards we built last sat

hopefully ill get a chance to test em before sat
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Just added the single 95mm diameter traffo and it look OK in the top right.

Post by Sligolad »

Case size I am working with is Inside 300 x 200 x 62mm. Outside 316 x 208.5 x 70mm if anyone wants to check on what is available, anything matching or bigger should work.
An aluminium case would be worth using for strength and stability, maybe there will be a little heat to dissipate from the regulators on the 5 Reg board which I forgot to add to the model....need to look at that again.

Post by nige2000 »

Derek

Post by Derek »

nige2000 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 pm https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php ... uct_id=532

20% off on black fri too
That looks like it was made with our project in mind.
If it makes for an easier build I'm for it.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

see the way the sides are corrugated is there a way round that for sd? Pearse
we could cut a chunk out and fill with a print?

i think the front plate we could cut a square out with a grinder if you 3d print some sort of insert?

this one is fine either
https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php ... uct_id=530
Derek

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Derek wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 pm https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php ... uct_id=472

what about this?
Id say that one will be like a bean tin or worse
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Of the 3 choices the first one would be best due to the depth being 280mm, the others are shorter in depth so they would not work.
If we could find one 200 to 300mm wide and at least 280mm deep we should be OK.
Height needs to be at least 70mm.
The finned cases might be a bit thick for machining the USB hole and the SD slot.

Will have a look as well.

After looking at all the options it looks like your first choice is best Nige.
As you say we could cut a chunk out and fill with a print, should be easily doable though we would need someone with a milling machine to cut the slot for the print.

We could probably get away with the case Derek picked but the panels are very light and we would need to reorganize the layout inside to make better use of the added width. Will take a look tomorrow.