Amp auditions

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
HiFiFan

Amp auditions

Post by HiFiFan »

The Merrill Audio Element 116s arrived yesterday. They are warming up. I will start some serious listening at the weekend and post my impressions.
Attachments
IMG_6486-2.jpg
IMG_6486-2.jpg (282.79 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Derek

Re: Amp auditions

Post by Derek »

WOW, they look incredible. Best of luck with your new toys.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Nice amps indeed, enjoy. ;)

Just a stupid question, what is the idea behind the wooden blocks under the equipment?
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Hi, not a stupid question but perhaps a stupid answer/reason. These are a very cheap attempt to have some type of vibration control. These blocks are cork. The units are on Isolate Sorbothane pads and then on the cork. Except for the DAVE which I have sometimes been tempted to get its proper stand for the other 2 units a linear power supply and microRendu are really small and light and I don't think I could even use something professional like still points on. I am guessing that these make no positive difference (or indeed that more expensive solutions would either) but for an outlay of about $4 per piece I thought it couldn't hurt :-)
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Really nice looking, hope to see these in the flesh at Munich this year.
If they work well with the Wilson's then you have a pairing for life.

Post by HiFiFan »

I haven't let them warm up for the full 2 days yet but couldn't resist a bit of listening last night. In a few days I'll post some details but initial impressions really positive. Here are three quotes from my wife

"I feel I am hearing it the way it was meant to be for the first time"
"I have heard people say it was almost like been there but this is the first time I have experienced that”.
"I was expecting some small improvements here and there but this is big s..t"
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Georgi wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 am Just a stupid question, what is the idea behind the wooden blocks under the equipment?
I'm a huge fan of isolation. The benefits for the cost can be huge. I recently stuck cork sanding blocks (€2 each from hardware shops) between speakers and speaker stand and while the improvement wasn't huge it was worth it - nice bit of air and space around instruments. Isolation is obvious for turntables or CD players, moving parts and all that, but also works under heavy amps. The purpose built isolation products do, in my experience, make a bigger difference but can be quite expensive. Pulsar points, Ceraballs, Black Ravioli etc.
My first experience was using old "blown" squash balls - halved - under a heavy Copland power amp. I honestly expected nothing but the improvement was very obvious. Worktop savers /chopping boards from Argos under speaker spikes are another cheap tweak - clearer treble and tighter bass - my experience may not be reflected in yours!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Ivor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Georgi wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 am Just a stupid question, what is the idea behind the wooden blocks under the equipment?
Isolation is obvious for turntables or CD players, moving parts and all that, but also works under heavy amps.
The amps come with GAiA III isolators from Isoacoustics, the Veritas had StillPoints. For the speakers I just use the WA spike kit.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

HiFiFan wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 pm
The amps come with GAiA III isolators from Isoacoustics, the Veritas had StillPoints. For the speakers I just use the WA spike kit.
Ah yes... but for mere mortals....

of course you can spray them gold. :)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Ivor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm
HiFiFan wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 pm of course you can spray them gold. :)
If we could spray them Vantablack we'd have the making of a killer product.