How von Karajan kept his von

james

How von Karajan kept his von

Post by james »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/201 ... letters

"A Swiss vet is taking the Austrian state to task over its ban of the use of the aristocratic prefix “von” (meaning “of”), which was outlawed 100 years ago following the collapse of the Habsburg empire....

However, the state is known to have granted exception permits, and this is what Von Steiger may be hoping to base his case on. The Austrian conductor Herbert von Karajan, who was born in 1908 as a knight in the city of Salzburg, was allowed to continue carrying his “von” under a provision that allows artists to have aliases. But Von Karajan first had to threaten never to appear in Austria again if the state refused to recognise his full name."

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
warrenduffy

Re: How von Karajan kept his von

Post by warrenduffy »

Very interesting James.
You learn something new every day!
Warren.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

warrenduffy

Re: How von Karajan kept his von

Post by warrenduffy »

It's funny, on a personal note Karajan is a conductor I've only recently developed a proper appreciation for.
Never disliked him as such but for certain composers I always found him somewhat too 'lyrical'.
It might be an age thing, the older I get the more I gravitate towards his sweeter rendering of the orchestra. At the same time moving away from the more bombastic conductors.
Currently revisiting all my favourite pieces under his baton :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk