Using a soldering iron on hi-fi equipment

Cyndale

Using a soldering iron on hi-fi equipment

Post by Cyndale »

I have to replace some diodes in my valve amplifier!

Just curious have any members here used a soldering iron to repair their hi-fi equipment.

If so, what is a good wattage soldering iron to use... 12W, 30W or 40W?
nige2000

Re: Using a soldering iron on hi-fi equipment

Post by nige2000 »

whats the budget?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

theres so many bad ones out there, for occasional use id try one of these, its recommended by many in the know

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-TS100-S ... g3Pg2Uebrw
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 pm theres so many bad ones out there, for occasional use id try one of these, its recommended by many in the know

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-TS100-S ... g3Pg2Uebrw
Thanks for the input, unfortunately they don't post to Ireland. Anyway I got some advice about a Weller 40Watt Soldering Iron which has a couple of LED lights on it to help see clearly when soldering!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Sign up on Parcel Motel. They setup a post box for you at their headquarters in Northern Ireland. Nearly every town in Ireland has a Parcel Motel delivery depot. They place your package in one of those boxes, send you a code by SMS Text and you open the box to collect your parcel using that code.

Simple and not very expensive. Worth checking out for those companies that don't send items to the ROI.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

I use AddressPall service by AnPost. They give you address in UK and you get all your UK delivery to that address and after two days the item gets delivered in your local post office for €3.85.
For the last few years, never had any issues with them.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

My favourite at the minute is parcelwizard 3.85 e to the door and usually quicker than the alternatives

One thing or two things that wattage doesn't allow for is efficiency and response times to maintain a stable heat

A bit like an amp u need "enough" wattage but the wattage is never the magic ingredient
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Thanks for all the advice on being able to get stuff that isn't posted to Ireland - posted via the above means. I bought a Weller 40W soldering iron in RS Components, here in Dublin.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Cyndale..... please be careful soldering in valve amps - there are lethal voltages in there that can be held in the reservoir caps for a long time after you turn off the amp. Always check the voltages before handling.

The DC voltage in a valve amp is not like the AC voltage in a household socket - that will generally throw you back and you will generally live long enough to utter a few obscenities. A few milliamps of DC at 450V will stop your heart.

We need all the solder slingers we have!
Do or do not, there is no try
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Fran wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 pm Cyndale..... please be careful soldering in valve amps - there are lethal voltages in there that can be held in the reservoir caps for a long time after you turn off the amp. Always check the voltages before handling.

The DC voltage in a valve amp is not like the AC voltage in a household socket - that will generally throw you back and you will generally live long enough to utter a few obscenities. A few milliamps of DC at 450V will stop your heart.

We need all the solder slingers we have!
Most definitely thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't been able to get round to doing anything at the moment. The amplifier hadn't been turned for about 3 weeks before I tried to turn it on and a fuse blew straight away. Surely any DC voltage would have drained by now?