Wanted: books on Irish railways and canals

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Rocker

Wanted: books on Irish railways and canals

Post by Rocker »

I admit this is the longest of long shots but I am on the lookout for books on Irish railways and canals. And trams, branch lines etc. If you can help or you know of where I might get some books on these subjects, please let me know here or by PM. Payment and collection etc. can be arranged easily enough. Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Steve

Re: Wanted: books on Irish railways and canals

Post by Steve »

Not sure if you're looking out for new or second hand Irish railway books but if it's new then the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland have a number of titles available. There's an online shop on their website, steamtrainsireland.com

Unfortunately just missed it but for second hand books on the subject there's always a number of stalls with books at the Model Railway Show. It's on every October Bank Holiday weekend,usually in Blackrock College. Amazon will also have a load available, including second hand, normally from UK based shops...

Would be a bit of a fan of all things railway too...
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks Steve. Just checked the book listing and it is impressive. I will be buying a few soon.

I am looking for Irish railway and canal books, they can be new or used. I have nothing on the railways of Northern Ireland, the Great Northern, the Great Southern & Western, the Lucan to Blessington tram or any of the Dublin trams. Great to think there is someone on this forum that is interested in the gleam of the lines......

Beware of a thin chef!
Steve

Post by Steve »

'The gleam of the lines' - I like that!! Actual as it happens, I was chatting to a member of the RPSI last night. He mentioned that another very good source of Irish railway books is the Irish Rail Records Society. They're located beside Heuston Station and I believe have a good stock of books available. Website is irishrailarchives.ie Hopefully will have some on the particular regions and lines you mention...
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

hello rocker there is a man called tarka king who is really big into canal preservation or re generation re opening of canal routes he is the son of one of the leslie family where i work i will try to get you an e mail or tel no or maybe you can find something on the internet chat soon
Naimaste

Post by Naimaste »

Hui
I have a copy of Irish Railways - A New History by Tom Ferris Paperback 2009
Let me know if you are interested, you may have it already.
tweber

Post by tweber »

https://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books ... e_railway/

Might be of interest?? Eddie's a great storyteller but don't know anything about this book
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Naimaste wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:17 pm Hui
I have a copy of Irish Railways - A New History by Tom Ferris Paperback 2009
Let me know if you are interested, you may have it already.

Yes, thanks for your posting. I am very interested, please contact me by PM with details etc.

Beware of a thin chef!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

tweber wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:16 pm https://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books ... e_railway/

Might be of interest?? Eddie's a great storyteller but don't know anything about this book

That is precisely what I am looking for, thanks for the heads up.

Beware of a thin chef!
tweber

Post by tweber »

Rocker wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm I admit this is the longest of long shots but I am on the lookout for books on Irish railways and canals. And trams, branch lines etc. If you can help or you know of where I might get some books on these subjects, please let me know here or by PM. Payment and collection etc. can be arranged easily enough. Thanks.
Hi, are you still on the lookout for railway books? I went through my Dad's collection and found a few duplicates (and triplicates!) that may be of interest to you.
Railways around Cork and Kerry An Irish Railway Pictorial Michael H.C. Baker
Lost Railways of Co.Cork Stephen Johnson
Irish Railways in the heyday of steam H.C. Casserley

PM me if interested. No Pressure.
Shane.