Speaker dust grill

PatD

Speaker dust grill

Post by PatD »

I would like to hear opinions on whether you should leave speaker dust grill on or not.Does it effect the quality of the music being played? I have Focal Aria floorstanding speakers and l can’t hear any difference!!
Cyndale

Re: Speaker dust grill

Post by Cyndale »

As a general rule I don't think it makes any difference, but some reviews I have read the reviewer recommends the speakers with the grilles off. The only speakers I did with were my beloved Acoustic Energy AE1s, they looked fantastic without the grilles and I 'think' it helped the sound. The speakers I am using now I don't hear a difference and they are actually distracting with the grilles off.

The Acoustic Energy AE1s...

The Quadral Chromium Style 8...
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Its entirely down to the speaker and grill. Some grills are unobtrusive but others do affect the sound. I prefer to leave them.off, just to eliminate any doubt and have peace of mind!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'd be the same as yourself Ivor and always tend to leave them off. Having read some reviews from the likes of Martin Colloms and John Aitkinson, the measurements they take do sometimes show there is a negative impact, usually in the higher frequencies and on things like off axis response, etc.
Personally I think speakers always look better with the grills off anyway! Although the stretched strings on some Sonus Fabers do look the business too..
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I know on the Russel K Red 100 speakers the grills are metal, with a type of clover leaf / cruciform hole punched through.

The result is a softer type of sound from the speaker.

The Harbeth P3ESR..... well I never managed to get the grill off. They are on tight and I’m concerned over nicking the veneer in praising them off. I think they are supposed to be played with the grills on anyway.

But the Harbeth grills are fabric, not metal. So do they influence the sound, yeah probably...but not as much as the metal grills in the Red 100’s.

Grills can be handy for keeping little fingers away from delicate cones, changing the presentation of a speaker and perhaps giving a slight softness to the music if desired.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Terry

Post by Terry »

I’ve three sets of speakers on the go and they each exhibit a different approach. The grills on the Celestion 66’s are remarkable. They’re steel and with the perforations at approx 60% of the surface area - are probably better suited to grilling a nice piece of fish. And then there’s the acoustic cloth. Best left off - notwithstanding the generous ope left for the tweeter!

I’ve no choice with the Gales (GS401a) - the wrap around cloth is an integral part of the design. They sound and look great. And finally the Sonus Faber M - as Steve pointed out - the tensioned elastic cord ‘grills’ do “look the business” and being as open as they are, don’t mask. I do take them off occasionally - mainly because the front baffle is so beautifully made.
1A88B833-EBCE-4EF9-AE7E-BD6EEA565EC6.jpeg
1A88B833-EBCE-4EF9-AE7E-BD6EEA565EC6.jpeg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 328 times
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.