The Lock-Down Tour

jkeny

The Lock-Down Tour

Post by jkeny »

Hi All,
Hope you are all staying healthy & sane?
We all have probably being listening to more of our music collection than pre-lockdown?

I'm wondering if there's any interest in a local tour of my supercapacitor power supplies or other audio devices to experiment with?
You may be surprised at the audible difference this power supply has, not just directly powering audio devices themselves but other digital devices in the playback chain - such as network devices, streamers, etc.

Currently there is a range of supercap PSes in any voltage upto ~21V with a user adjustable, variable voltage version coming soon.
Also can put 3 other audio devices on tour, if there's an interest - a supercap powered USB DAC, USB to SPDIF converter & USB cleanser hub?

If interested, post your name here & the device you are interested in.

It is simple enough - when you receive it simply have a listen/play with the device & when happy to do so, post it onwards.

Edit: I'll keep the participants list updated here
  • Tony - 12V supercap-PS? (PS socket?) + ISO-HUB + ISO-DAC
  • Claus - 19V supercap-PS (2.5mm socket)
  • Georgi -12V PS - (2.5mm socket)
  • DaveF - ISO-HUB?
Last edited by jkeny on Sun May 17, 2020 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Re: The Lock-Down Tour

Post by tony »

If you are struggling on takers John happy to try out the supercap. 12v for the battery supply for my PC. What is the usb cleanser hub? Might try that out. The dac happy to give it a go and compare it to the group build.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Great, Tony - I'll let you know when sending out
- a 12V supercap PS - any idea what current your PC needs to power it?
- an ISO-HUB
- an ISO-DAC
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Not much interest?
Here are a number of recent customer impressions which might spur some interest (tough crowd :))?
Customer Reviews of the Supercapacitor Power Supply

Jens from Denmark
The 9v supercapacitor ISO-PS is replacing a 9v ifi audio ipower powering a SOtM tx-USBultra Special Edition and the dc connection is a Ghentaudio Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 16AWG (JSSG360) cable. SQ improvement is greater than I had expected, is obvious to hear and is also of another nature than my tweaking with lifepo4 batteries and lt3045 regulators normally gives. The ISO-PS has given the sound a clean and pure but most of all an overwhelming presence.

Jukka from Finland - (he already had a 5V & 7V versions) - this is with the using 12V ISO-PS & will be power his microZotl headphone amp
I`ve tried it with my router and it made a big impact there, not yet with Zotl as that takes more work to get set up. But already I am having best sound from my setup to date. I´ll let you know how it goes, when I have time to test MicroZotl properly.

James from Northern Ireland
The power supply is being used on an Opto DX Signal Isolator between the MScaler and DAVE DAC. This device stops RFI transfer to the DAVE by converting the dual bnc electrical signal to optical and reconverting back to electrical before going into the DAVE. Taking your power supply of the Opto and using it on the MScaler would not give me a true impression of an improvement as I would then have to use a poorer supply on the Opto.
All very positive. The device being powered is benefiting from being isolated from RFI and music is sounding very natural. Just an observation but I measured the output as 13+ volts. I am thinking of trying to use this supply to power my Chord Hugo Mscaler.

James from Utah - using 5V ISO-PS
Wow... less graiin and noise floor than the LPS
1.2. I can hear that immediately! A hint more space and detail... immediately apparent. More relaxed.

Okay this is going to be fun going through my collection
…...
Im smiling ear to ear and every where in between. Thank you so much, James

Hagen from Germany - using 12V
I am very happy with the power supply. Better resolution, the naturalness of the music playback becomes larger; more calm, a blacker background.
The sibilance and perceived distortions are significantly reduced.
In short, I have more fun listening to music !!!!
A clear recommendation from me for your power supply!
I will recommend it to my customers, although I have no financial advantage.
The price of the ISO-PS is very good.

Mikael from Sweden - using 5V supercap ISO-PS
Only listened for a short period. And need to do some more comparisons but yes I think it made a huge difference actually.
This was the best I have heard the Allo Boss DAC sound via Roon so far

Graham from canada - using 5V supercap ISO-PS into Chord DAC
Definitely, hearing deeper into the music. Some interesting little ambient sounds coming
I don’t recall hearing before, that must be a result of the lower noise floor. Not noticing any
Negative impact which is equally important.

Clive from UK - using 5V supercap ISO-PS into Chord Qutest
SMPS (Rob Watts stock) was my reference
Detailed, not obviously harsh

Supercap
Initially quite similar to SMPS but a bit more listening revealed it as smoother with very solid (tight) bass, made SMPS sound a little harsh. bass light & imprecise. I tried unplugging the "charger" - I couldn't detect any difference.

SBooster LPS
Smooth without the tightness of the Supercap bass, I think this is why when I compared last time I preferred the SMPS to this LPS - Rob Watts says something about interwinding capacitance with LPS providing a route for RF (so some LPS are poor) or did I get two things mixed up?

Supercap wins

Chris from UK - 5V ISO-PS
Compared to iFi iPower (5V) + battery pack) the most noticeable improvement for me was leading edge transients – that alone was worth the purchase. However with further listening, I would suggest that the soundstage has got wider. Low level details in the far left & right are much more noticeable. And this effect is totally repeatable when swapping between the ISO-PSU & the iPower/battery combination.

Robin from US -
Hi John! I am using the last PS with the Sonore ultraRendu. I like to use the PS Audio LanRover in the mix and I power it with the first PS you sent. I still have to connect a module to run a fiber cable but what I have now sounds excellent. I continue to be way impressed with the SILENT, very BLACK background. I will let you know as I play around with everything. I love your products ;)
Last edited by jkeny on Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
Claus

Post by Claus »

Hi John.
I would be interested in a 19V supply for my i3 NUC.
I used to have a HD-PLEX supply for it but gave up the ghost, so I am back on the laptop generic supply.
Thanks,
Claus
Claus

Post by Claus »

19V 65W is the requirement according to Intel website. Thanks
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

I mait be interested in Power Supply to my MiniPC very similar to the NUC set up. I'll have a look later the correct numbers.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Claus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:39 pm 19V 65W is the requirement according to Intel website. Thanks
Yes, Claus 19V 65W can be delivered by ISO-PS.
Do you wish to be put on the tour list?
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Georgi wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm I mait be interested in Power Supply to my MiniPC very similar to the NUC set up. I'll have a look later the correct numbers.
All that's needed is voltage & current of your existing power supply
www.Ciunas.biz
Claus

Post by Claus »

jkeny wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:12 pm
Claus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:39 pm 19V 65W is the requirement according to Intel website. Thanks
Yes, Claus 19V 65W can be delivered by ISO-PS.
Do you wish to be put on the tour list?
Yes that would be great, John! I will text you my address asap! Thanks a million!