What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:47 pm The name of Clodagh Simonds somehow stick into my mind since I first read her name many years ago among the collaborators of Mike Oldfield' first records. Few years ago I saw again that name; this time she was the main mind in a project called Fovea Hex. And even this time the name of the collaborators attracted my attention: Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Steven Wilson, … Impressive. But I didn't buy any record: maybe the fact they published EP rather than LP, or maybe I wasn't ready yet.
Fast forward to present. In the last days I have been listening to various folk music of the 70s; bands like Fairport C., Incredible String Band, Steeleye Span, etc. Not everything is my cup of tea, but I started reading more about it and I finally came to the Irish band Mellow Candle. That was the first Clodagh Simonds band which received much attention, and their only record (Swaddling Songs) is a real gem. So now I thought it was time to close the circle and buy also some Fovea Hex record. I downloaded Neither Speak Nor Remain Silent (from Bandcamp). Well, it is music that requires the right mood, but once you are there it is absolutely fascinating and moving. Even if it is the product of a group of musicians (band+collaborators) everything is perfectly blended and it is impossible to follow what each one is doing (or simply you don't bother doing that). They are not touring in this period, but I hope they will start again soon.

https://foveahex.bandcamp.com/

Best
Fascinating! Thanks for that! I’m sure you’ve heard of Trees? I also possess the Mellow Candle Lp. Must have a listen to that Fovea Hex record. Other's in the same realm you should check out are Espers, Jade, Shirley and Dolly Collins, Anne Briggs and, of course, Sandy Denny.
Luxman

Post by Luxman »

This one passed me by. Lovely sounding considering the difficulty in its creation.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Elbow are a band that always seem to just skirt past me. I’ll have to make an effort to get a real listen to some of their music.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:21 pm
Brutus1968 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:47 pm The name of Clodagh Simonds somehow stick into my mind since I first read her name many years ago among the collaborators of Mike Oldfield' first records. Few years ago I saw again that name; this time she was the main mind in a project called Fovea Hex. And even this time the name of the collaborators attracted my attention: Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Steven Wilson, … Impressive. But I didn't buy any record: maybe the fact they published EP rather than LP, or maybe I wasn't ready yet.
Fast forward to present. In the last days I have been listening to various folk music of the 70s; bands like Fairport C., Incredible String Band, Steeleye Span, etc. Not everything is my cup of tea, but I started reading more about it and I finally came to the Irish band Mellow Candle. That was the first Clodagh Simonds band which received much attention, and their only record (Swaddling Songs) is a real gem. So now I thought it was time to close the circle and buy also some Fovea Hex record. I downloaded Neither Speak Nor Remain Silent (from Bandcamp). Well, it is music that requires the right mood, but once you are there it is absolutely fascinating and moving. Even if it is the product of a group of musicians (band+collaborators) everything is perfectly blended and it is impossible to follow what each one is doing (or simply you don't bother doing that). They are not touring in this period, but I hope they will start again soon.

Best
Fascinating! Thanks for that! I’m sure you’ve heard of Trees? I also possess the Mellow Candle Lp. Must have a listen to that Fovea Hex record. Other's in the same realm you should check out are Espers, Jade, Shirley and Dolly Collins, Anne Briggs and, of course, Sandy Denny.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Trees are already on my radar. I know S. Denny through her work with F. Convention and Fotheringay, but I am planning to get a solo record too. I wil check the other names.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
Luxman

Post by Luxman »

I must have been missing for years, first listen ever and love it. A decent test of the electronics too.
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:04 am
cybot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:21 pm

Best
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Trees are already on my radar. I know S. Denny through her work with F. Convention and Fotheringay, but I am planning to get a solo record too. I wil check the other names.

Best
If you’re checking out her solo stuff then I would unhesitatingly recommend the double Lp compilation of her acoustic stuff ‘I’ve Always Kept A Unicorn’. The actual solo albums are patchy to say the least. Another one is again a double Lp compilation of her early Home recordings. For completists maybe? Finally the first box set released after her passing Who Knows Where The Time Goes is another brilliant introduction to her muse especially with the demo and unreleased stuff. There’s another one but I’ll leave that until you catch your breath!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Luxman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:44 pm Image
I must have been missing for years, first listen ever and love it. A decent test of the electronics too.
I remember using this to shake out some new additions to my system.
Haven't played it in a looong time, I'll remedy that tomorrow.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've been disturbing the dust off of my speakers earlier today, plenty of punch and drive, wants to be played LOUD!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Derek wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:58 pm Image

I've been disturbing the dust off of my speakers earlier today, plenty of punch and drive, wants to be played LOUD!
Have that one. This one is no slouch either!