Blues - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Blues - what are you listening to?

Post by Ivor »

Is the new one any good? I'll be there meself of course... and another lesson in quaity music for the son.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

The new one is very much a curate’s egg, good in spots, some tracks absolutely brilliant and some that should never have been tackled. “Nights in White Satin” is a real stinker, while “The Word” & “Isn’t it a Pity” are on the money, she has made them her own.
I don’t think it’s a matter of Mrs LaVette being misguided because I’ve seen footage of her going through the very painstaking process of choosing songs to interpret.
Not as good as “Scene of the Crime” but mediocre Bettye LaVette is still better than most of the rest.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This is a great listen:

Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

You Are Not Alone (on the ANTI- label)

The latest offering from the very great Mavis Staples, produced by Jeff Tweedy he of Wilco on which he contributes a couple of songs written for Mavis.

She can do no wrong, and at 71 years young she nails some traditional, “Wonderful Savior”, “Creep Along Moses”, some covers, Allen Toussaint’s - “Last Train”, Little Milton’s - “We’re Gonna Make It” and some from her own family tree, ‘Pops’ Roebuck Staples – “Don’t Knock”, “Downward Road”, and a lot more.

But what raises this a wee bit above the norm is the band.
The same group that appeared on her 2008 “Live: Hope at the Hideout” and features the beautifully understated less is more country/soul guitar playing of the wonderful Rick Holmstrom, (anyone not familiar with his work could do worse than checking his back catalogue).

Also in the frame;
Stephen Hodges - Drums and Percussion,
Jeff Turmes – Bass and Guitar,
Donny Gerard – Vocals.
With additional guests including Jeff Tweedy
Vocalists Nora O’Connor, Kelly Hogan…

A nice piece on the project here
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I certainly aint no blues expert but this is pretty darn good IMHO. Just finished playing the first disc of this double LP.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote:I certainly aint no blues expert but this is pretty darn good IMHO. Just finished playing the first disc of this double LP.
Well you seem to have a good eye (ear?) for what to buy!

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Not quite blues but...

(on vinyl)

cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:Not quite blues but...

(on vinyl)
Yowza :-)
Derek

Post by Derek »

R&B in the traditional sense, a super follow up to My World