Blues - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Blues - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Another one that slipped by unnoticed. A hurriedly arranged Live one from ‘69. My only real reason for searching it out was Michael Bloomfield. No other. I only have one album where he’s featured namely ‘East West’. Anyway this one came highly recommended by Cyndale (from this forum) and who pointed me in the right direction second hand wise (HHV in Germany). Condition rated as VG+. Should really have been Excellent. Anyway it’s a fabulous document of his guitar skills. Have a listen to a Rory Gallagher staple below and especially pay attention to his solo. A very strange fade out occurs which is sneakily faded into the next track. Wonder Who indeed…..

Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:47 pm Another one that slipped by unnoticed. A hurriedly arranged Live one from ‘69. My only real reason for searching it out was Michael Bloomfield. No other. I only have one album where he’s featured namely ‘East West’. Anyway this one came highly recommended by Cyndale (from this forum) and who pointed me in the right direction second hand wise (HHV in Germany). Condition rated as VG+. Should really have been Excellent. Anyway it’s a fabulous document of his guitar skills. Have a listen to a Rory Gallagher staple below and especially pay attention to his solo. A very strange fade out occurs which is sneakily faded into the next track. Wonder Who indeed…..
I love Mike Bloomfield, so I will suggest you few more titles where he shines:

Live at the Bill Graham's Fillmore West (with Nick Gravenites, a brilliant piano player and songwriter).
My Labour (this goes under Nick Gravenites name, but Bloomfield is playing there).
Live at the Old Waldorf.
Super Session (with Al Kooper and Stephen Stills, Bloomfield plays on half of it, then Kooper had to call Stills because Bloomfield disappeared during the sessions and never came back; anyway it is a great record and even Stills is playing great).

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm
cybot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:47 pm Another one that slipped by unnoticed. A hurriedly arranged Live one from ‘69. My only real reason for searching it out was Michael Bloomfield. No other. I only have one album where he’s featured namely ‘East West’. Anyway this one came highly recommended by Cyndale (from this forum) and who pointed me in the right direction second hand wise (HHV in Germany). Condition rated as VG+. Should really have been Excellent. Anyway it’s a fabulous document of his guitar skills. Have a listen to a Rory Gallagher staple below and especially pay attention to his solo. A very strange fade out occurs which is sneakily faded into the next track. Wonder Who indeed…..

Live at the Bill Graham's Fillmore West (with Nick Gravenites, a brilliant piano player and songwriter).
My Labour (this goes under Nick Gravenites name, but Bloomfield is playing there).
Live at the Old Waldorf.
Super Session (with Al Kooper and Stephen Stills, Bloomfield plays on half of it, then Kooper had to call Stills because Bloomfield disappeared during the sessions and never came back; anyway it is a great record and even Stills is playing great).

Best
Thanks for that! Super Session is already on the horizon. God only knows the number of times I passed it by as the years went passing by. Now if I could only get the other three on vinyl…..
You probably already know Michael disappeared again on the Al Kooper Live one I posted above. Elvin Bishop and Carlos Santana were drafted in for Side 3.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Late catching up with this one as I honestly wasn’t convinced. Shame on me. Sold out everywhere. Got a flyer from Freebird the other day and there it was. So I promptly ordered my vinyl copy despite my reservations. It duly arrived this wet morning. Plastic sleeve included too. Kudos! Then I sat down and listened. And listened. And listened…….I was rather taken aback absolutely absorbed and as excited as a kid could be. The one thing that immediately struck me was her voice and that subtle yodel catch really threw me. A beautifully captured recording too. Time seemed to hang in the air like nothing I’ve experienced in a long time. Another thing I loved was the gentleness of her singing and playing. I’ll leave it that safe in the knowledge that a mere 17 year old Irish girl has made something to cherish and wonder at in this technologically advanced 21st century using just a voice and strings of steel on wood.

Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:31 pm

Live at the Bill Graham's Fillmore West (with Nick Gravenites).
Live at the Old Waldorf.

Best
Thanks for that! Super Session is already on the horizon. God only knows the number of times I passed it by as the years went passing by. Now if I could only get the other three on vinyl…..
You probably already know Michael disappeared again on the Al Kooper Live one I posted above. Elvin Bishop and Carlos Santana were drafted in for Side 3.
I have the Fillmore West on vinyl. Some years ago a remastered version with bonus tracks was issued on CD and I bought it, but the quality was not even close to the vinyl so I gave it to a friend of mine.
There is also a "Fillmore East" concert, again with Al Kooper, which has been released on CD only.
The "East - West" record of Paul Butterfield has been reissued as 3LP with bonus tracks for a recent RSD; I have a copy of that one.
When mentioning Nick Gravenites I said great piano player, but I confused him with Mark Naftalin, who is playing on some of the records above.

Best
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 pm
cybot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:31 pm

Live at the Bill Graham's Fillmore West (with Nick Gravenites).
Live at the Old Waldorf.

Best
I have the Fillmore West on vinyl. Some years ago a remastered version with bonus tracks was issued on CD and I bought it, but the quality was not even close to the vinyl so I gave it to a friend of mine.
There is also a "Fillmore East" concert, again with Al Kooper, which has been released on CD only.
The "East - West" record of Paul Butterfield has been reissued as 3LP with bonus tracks for a recent RSD; I have a copy of that one.
When mentioning Nick Gravenites I said great piano player, but I confused him with Mark Naftalin, who is playing on some of the records above.

Best
I remember seeing that one, namely Fillmore West on vinyl.

Now you have me confused. If I’d seen an East West triple vinyl set I would have snapped it up immediately. Are you sure it’s not THE PAUL BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND - The Original Lost Elektra Sessions (Deluxe Expanded Ed.) - 3LP - Vinyl [RSD 2022]. I rejected that particular one simply because there just wasn’t enough of Michael's playing. Was I wrong?
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

[/quote]

I remember seeing that one, namely Fillmore West on vinyl.

Now you have me confused. If I’d seen an East West triple vinyl set I would have snapped it up immediately. Are you sure it’s not THE PAUL BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND - The Original Lost Elektra Sessions (Deluxe Expanded Ed.) - 3LP - Vinyl [RSD 2022]. I rejected that particular one simply because there just wasn’t enough of Michael's playing. Was I wrong?
[/quote]

Yes, it is that one. I don't remember how much Bloomfield is playing overall, but I decided to buy it because it was a good record in general and that release was a proper homage to it.

Best
cybot

Post by cybot »

No worries! Would you believe Spindizzy had it for €54.99 now reduced to €29.99. That was only few days ago and now it’s gone 🙄 So that’s the end of that journey! My loss. I’ll console myself by saying it’s probably crap 😂

Came across this mini review :

“The difference between the PBB Bands' first album and these 'lost sessions' is pretty big. I was after more guitar work by Mike Bloomfield and yet on these recordings he is less pronounced; unlike the 2 official albums where Bloomfields work sets the PBB Band apart from many contemporaries. Overall a decent album.”
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:59 pm Late catching up with this one as I honestly wasn’t convinced. Shame on me. Sold out everywhere. Got a flyer from Freebird the other day and there it was. So I promptly ordered my vinyl copy despite my reservations. It duly arrived this wet morning. Plastic sleeve included too. Kudos! Then I sat down and listened. And listened. And listened…….I was rather taken aback absolutely absorbed and as excited as a kid could be. The one thing that immediately struck me was her voice and that subtle yodel catch really threw me. A beautifully captured recording too. Time seemed to hang in the air like nothing I’ve experienced in a long time. Another thing I loved was the gentleness of her singing and playing. I’ll leave it that safe in the knowledge that a mere 17 year old Irish girl has made something to cherish and wonder at in this technologically advanced 21st century using just a voice and strings of steel on wood.

Like you Dermot, I was late to this and could only get it on CD. Fair play to her, a lovely listen.
cybot

Post by cybot »

I’d definitely go to see her live if she ever hit our town.