Cheap isolation platform

Brutus1968

Cheap isolation platform

Post by Brutus1968 »

Looking for a good isolation platform but you don't want to spend too much? Have a look at the Cole & Mason marble chopping board: it measures 30x40cm and it is 1.5cm thick. It is heavy! (pictures on the internet).
I bought two of them at Arnotts spending 22 euros each; one is below my cd player, the other one is... in the kitchen (jealous wife...)
I saw them on Tesco website as well for even less euros.
They can be easily improved by using 3/4 good feet in place of the original rubber ones, but even with the default ones I think they are much more solid than many wooden hifi platform sold for hundreds of euros.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
Ivor

Re: Cheap isolation platform

Post by Ivor »

I use two of these chunky boys, (under and amp and turntable respectively) and they give me piece of mind. €18 and a perfect size

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aptitlig-b ... -00233429/

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I suppose it would be important to state what turntable is going to be sitting on the Ikea Aptitleig! I read loads of favourable reviews about it and bought myself one. I tried one with my Linn LP12 and wasn't sufficiently impressed for it to replace the aerolam platform I was currently using. The aerolam is only a fraction of the weight of the Aptitleig which is preferable for an LP12. I stuck with the aerolam platform.

I see Ivor is using a Roksan Xerxes and I would think the Aptitleig would be more suitable for it.

What turntable are you using 'Brutus'?
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Hi Cyndale,

I have two turntables: Thorens TD124 and a Lenco L75S, both on a DIY plinth. The marble board is used below a cd player. I didn't do any test to discern improvements but it looks very professional ;-)
The two plinths have very good vibrations-killing properties, so I am not using any plarform below the TTs. But in the past I have used freezer gel bags as good absorption material at bargain price.

Best
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Two nice decks, long may they wear!

Isolation is important all right, but equally important is the base/platform that the turntable sits on. It is imperative that any energy stored in the turntable dissipates quickly out of it and is not stored by the base/platform, otherwise that energy will feed back into the tonearm cartridge, which defeats the whole purpose.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

I completely agree, especially when speaking of pulley driven TTs. My plinths are made of several layers of marine plywood and each layer has been cut with the idea to fill as much as possible all spaces around the TT structure (almost as a glove).

Best
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A fellow Lenco lover I see!
Do or do not, there is no try
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Some years ago, with the help of my wife, I wanted to upcycle an old TT using an album cover art (Larks tongues in aspic) of my favourite band (King Crimson) as inspiration. I found a cheap Lenco and decided to use it for the project. After the new plinth was completed I discovered its sonic properties, so I also upgraded some TT parts and I was so impressed that I sold a Thorens TD125II and kept the Lenco.
Here it is:
https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index ... ic=18182.0

Best
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That's a lovely build, I love the chassis design, it's very neat
Do or do not, there is no try
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Thank you Fran,

But most of all the Lenco sounds great with that dress...

Best