Recent remastered versions

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Brutus1968

Recent remastered versions

Post by Brutus1968 »

Hi everybody,
Few days ago in a record shop I have seen the remastered version of two records that I like: Metallica's Black Album and Ry Cooder's Buena Vista Social Club. I am tempted, but I know that often a remastered version could be a delusion as you realise that the original one sounds better.
Has anyone here already had the possibility to critically listen to any of the above? Comments?

Thanks
Max (spin the black circle)
Naimaste

Re: Recent remastered versions

Post by Naimaste »

I have no direct knowledge of these, sorry.
Steve Hoffmann forum is usually good for chat on remasters. You may know already though!

This https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... d.1090215/ is a discussion originating in June 21 about the BVSC 25th anniversary remasters and also discusses previous issues of the album.
Metallica https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 1.1093964/
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Thanks for the link; I am not a regular reader of that forum.
Anyway today I couldn't resist and I bought the Beuna Vista box (2LP, 2CD, book) for two reasons: it has been remastered by Bernie Grundman and, given the quality of the musicians, I expect good music from the bonus tracks. I have listened to the first cd today and the quality is top, but it was already excellent at first release. At least they didn't mess anything up.
Reading the comments about the Black Album, I am tempted by that one as well. I won't buy the full box set, but I will have to decide between LP and CD. The version that I have is on vinyl.

Best
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

For me, both of those albums sounded superb in their original form. I can't see the remasters as anything other than a cash grab...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

I tried a quick test between original and remastered versions of BVSC. As already said the original was already superb (and still is); in the new one the improvements are really subtle imho (mainly instruments and voices presence). The real value is in the bonus tracks and in the book: this record deserved a special treatment and I think this has been delivered in full respect of the original issue.

For those who might be interested: in purchasing the box at Spindizzy (Dublin) I traded in an immaculate vinyl of Tim Buckley's Live in London (2lp). You can find it in the second hand records section.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Listening to the 25th Anniversary remaster of BVSC I have to say its just gorgeous. I only ever had the CD previously and the 2nd (wonderful) LP of outtakes etc. but this is like a better session with better engineers!

Apart from the extra tracks - very welcome thanks, the sound is much more mature, more subtle and, as vinyl should be, more intimate. Loving it
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

As the "original" is one of the few records I actually own, I'd love to do a direct comparison. Some winter evening, perhaps, when Cuba seems further away than ever...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I have coffee, wine and floor space!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I may take up more of that floor space than you remember...
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

The best sounding version of Metallica's Black album is the original UK pressing which was mastered at STERLING SOUND! I have bought a few of the reissues over the years, but none of them come close. I even bought the 4LP 45rpm boxset of it and it is really good but just not as dynamic as the Sterling original. Just saying!