Where to test audio tubes

Maciej

Where to test audio tubes

Post by Maciej »

Hi.

I think somebody already asked this question here while ago.
Can you let me know if there is a place here in Ireland, or alternatively someone own valve tester?
I would like to test some preamp tubes, as well as output Kt88 tubes.
If there is someone on the forum, and would not mind to do it I can post the tubes and pay for the service obviously.

Thanks in advance for a formation.
Maciej
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Where to test audio tubes

Post by Fran »

I don't know anywhere that does this Maciej...... something we could do with here though
Do or do not, there is no try
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Fran wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:27 am I don't know anywhere that does this Maciej...... something we could do with here though
Perfect Fran. Thanks.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

You could try the hifi hospital I know he repairs a lot of vintage units so he may have a valve tester no harm in asking
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Thanks. I had them as potential source after many people recommended them for repairs. Ill drop the also email.
Maciej
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Maciej - let us know what the response back from the HiFi hospital is . Would be good to know there is quick an inexpensive way to test tubes.
If the equipment is relatively low cost it could be an option to share amoung this forum?
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

ConorW wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:57 pm Maciej - let us know what the response back from the HiFi hospital is . Would be good to know there is quick an inexpensive way to test tubes.
If the equipment is relatively low cost it could be an option to share amoung this forum?
Conor
Hi Conor.

I spoke to Hifihosital , and they told me that they do not provide this service.
I also sent email , and rang Audiorepair.ie but nobody has answered y my email, or picked up the phone.
I just do not know how much live is left in the tubes that are in Graaf, so to avoid necessary expenses I wanted to test them before purchasing new set.
I am not an expert but according to some, sometimes tubes die instantly, but most of the time it is gradual process that sucks out live from them.
Anyway, I found a shop in Poland (after UK market is closed to us) that sells tubes slightly cheaper than TubeAmpDoctor, so I will more likely take a chance, and buy new set of preamp, and power tubes from them.

Regards
Maciej
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Maciej
If the tubes sound alright why bother changing them.
Tubes last for years the odd one may fail now and then but modern day tubes are extremely reliable are as good NOS tubes
Brexit has certainly scuppered getting tubes from the UK tax charges etc just not worth it.
What was the name of the company in Poland you used
Cheers
Alan
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Saxman wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 am Hi Maciej
If the tubes sound alright why bother changing them.
Tubes last for years the odd one may fail now and then but modern day tubes are extremely reliable are as good NOS tubes
Brexit has certainly scuppered getting tubes from the UK tax charges etc just not worth it.
What was the name of the company in Poland you used
Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan,

One of the input Sovteks tubes failed. I have a quad of Siemens e88cc tubes, but they have too much gain and do not sound as nice as the Sovteks.
Besides i noticed that I have to turn the volume on the amp more than I used to to reach same level, so possible tubes need to be replaced.
Some change tubes annually, I know it's crazy. Possible tubes loose their full potential after some time, but with gradual deterioration we tend to adjust to those changes.
Anyway, that is the shop I mentioned. Not much NOS tubes, but for anything from current production the prices are competitive. I would avoid buying tubes from EBay.

https://sklep.lampyelektronowe.pl/?nowe-produkty,28

Regards
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Maciej
I have had a couple of tubes fail Mullard M-series and Telefunken. Prior to. Failing both made a crackling noise intermittent.
Surprised you found sovtek better than siemens, saying that it is all. System dependent.
Have you tried the USA one drawback could be customs.
Prior to Brexit I had goods delivered from the US no charge
Once Brexit was in I orderef some cables and got charged by the carrier FedEx for customs.
Yet Usps charged nothing.
You would need to check it out.
Try Tube Store they may help
Re E Bay totally agree wouldn't go near them for valves.
Maybe Germany.
Anyway good hunting
Cheers
Alan