Are you getting yourself anything nice for Xmas?

Georgi

Re: Are you getting yourself anything nice for Xmas?

Post by Georgi »

Thanks Fran,
I would like to hear before hand if that's possible, thanks.
How much is little money? 😄
My last DIY DAC which sounded wonderful, cost me nearly €1300.
Last edited by Georgi on Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

It very much depends on what you want to spend!

If you start to move into boutique caps, z-foil resistors and the like, well then the money rockets. Same for the case. However, there does seem to be a sweet spot that will probably put you around 300-400, and then add a chassis after that. If you want duelunds, or cardas RCA jacks etc....you know what happens!
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

Georgi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:20 am I'm on the market for a decent DAC, because I have make the mistake of selling my multibit PCM63k one.
Now I can't made my mind what I want or what I need for my new Hybrid Amp.
Any suggestions and advices would be much appreciated or if someone would lend me a good DAC for a test for few days, would be even better. 🙂
I was looking up DAC's and I came across the following ..

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa ... t.22363/

It discusses various DAC's using the PMC63K chip.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
james

Post by james »

Diapason wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:31 am Not for Christmas, but I'm mulling over a fairly sizeable purchase in 2022 that could be considered "hifi-adjacent".

I've given up on getting a pipe organ for home for a variety of reasons, and most commercial digital organs are shite. Instead, I'm seriously considering a bespoke "Hauptwerk" digital setup with 3 manuals (i.e. keyboards), pedals and by every recommendation, "as many audio channels as you can afford". The idea is that this allows sample sets of world-class, often very famous, instruments to be loaded into some fairly serious software and played in the home. Most of the newer samples are in 24/96 (each individual pipe is sampled, more or less) and the computational demands are very serious in terms of CPU and memory, so I'm discovering that none of it is cheap. The real expense is the 3-manual and pedal console itself, so that's where most of my research is going at the moment.

Anyway, there's a lot to figure out here and no triggers will be pulled any time soon. The lead-time for the consoles is many months, and post-Brexit that will probably need to come from Holland as there are a lot of options over there. There might be a fact-finding mission when we're allowed to travel more freely again and when I feel confident of doing so. The audio component will be the last part I suspect, but I'll keep you posted.

Apart from that, I have no plans. But I've said that before.
I looked it up ...

https://www.hauptwerk.com/
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's the one! Some of the instruments people have built for home use are pretty serious: example
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Makes me feel almost normal looking at that!

Serious effort put in there for sure.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

I know ye will laugh but I bought a Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer and replaced stock tubes 6SN7 with a set of Tung-Sol from UK supplier on bay. I also upgraded cables to Van Damme Blue Series from excellent Polish seller on the bay " Lucasoundvision" with really good connectors I would recommend Lucas he has higher end stuff too. I can notice the difference, a more elevated and rounder sound. I'm using it between DAC and amp so I can use for CD transport and digital files on Roon. It came quickly from Schenzhen Audio in China. I would love a tube amp now I've got a taste. That was my Christmas.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The purists all say that a tube buffer only adds distortion and noise, but I think if it sounds good, then its not a bad thing.

Enjoy the purchases!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rayfi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 am I know ye will laugh but I bought a Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer and replaced stock tubes 6SN7 with a set of Tung-Sol from UK supplier on bay. I also upgraded cables to Van Damme Blue Series from excellent Polish seller on the bay " Lucasoundvision" with really good connectors I would recommend Lucas he has higher end stuff too. I can notice the difference, a more elevated and rounder sound. I'm using it between DAC and amp so I can use for CD transport and digital files on Roon. It came quickly from Schenzhen Audio in China. I would love a tube amp now I've got a taste. That was my Christmas.
Nobody laughing in my house!
I love me toobs me! Toobs everywhere. Everything distorts, everything colours, I like the warm sound of tubes.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Ivor wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:51 pm
Rayfi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 am I know ye will laugh but I bought a Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer and replaced stock tubes 6SN7 with a set of Tung-Sol from UK supplier on bay. I also upgraded cables to Van Damme Blue Series from excellent Polish seller on the bay " Lucasoundvision" with really good connectors I would recommend Lucas he has higher end stuff too. I can notice the difference, a more elevated and rounder sound. I'm using it between DAC and amp so I can use for CD transport and digital files on Roon. It came quickly from Schenzhen Audio in China. I would love a tube amp now I've got a taste. That was my Christmas.
Nobody laughing in my house!
I love me toobs me! Toobs everywhere. Everything distorts, everything colours, I like the warm sound of tubes.
Counting up all the the valves (tubes to US readers) in my amplifiers there are 40 valves (tubes to US readers) in my equipment.