Are you getting yourself anything nice for Xmas?

Fran
Site Admin

Are you getting yourself anything nice for Xmas?

Post by Fran »

The title says it all - are you indulging yourself with any nice new bits over Xmas?
Do or do not, there is no try
hudo

Re: Are you getting yourself anything nice for Xmas?

Post by hudo »

Hopefully Magnapan LRS from Kevin1 here, never had or properly listened planar speakers, that could be fun :)

Maybe will fit nicely to early christmas present to myself - Kef KC62 subwoofer, excellent discounts on black friday (not in Ireland sadly, got it from Croatia, EU so easy to buy and ship!). Very small sub, got wife approval easily. She still thinks its something cheap since its so small compared to my old RELs i had:)
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Got some vinyl including Neil young's new album 'Barn' and Yann Tiersen 'Kerber'

And maybe a new turntable, I'll update on that one
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I think I'm ok for hardware for a while (famous last words!) but certainly the vinyl will keep coming and the post man will curse his bad back and regret not taking early retirement...

I may get my 2nd TT up and running early in 2022 - with a little help from my invaluable friends - which might justify a serious new cart.

Other than that I hope 2022 is less surreal than 2021 and we can all meet up eventually without worrying about pandemics, coughing in public and where our next gig is coming from.

Stay safe fellow geeks.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

I just got a REL T5/x sub to extend the lower range of my office Harbeth P3ESR's. It's under the desk in a near-field setup and the room placement is not a huge concern.
I'm still tuning in the crossover and volume setting but so far it's a very sweet synergy - highly recommended.

Also, updates just came out for the Auralic streamer and for Roon which have further refined the sound and could be considered a Xmas bonus.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Not for Christmas, but I'm mulling over a fairly sizeable purchase in 2022 that could be considered "hifi-adjacent".

I've given up on getting a pipe organ for home for a variety of reasons, and most commercial digital organs are shite. Instead, I'm seriously considering a bespoke "Hauptwerk" digital setup with 3 manuals (i.e. keyboards), pedals and by every recommendation, "as many audio channels as you can afford". The idea is that this allows sample sets of world-class, often very famous, instruments to be loaded into some fairly serious software and played in the home. Most of the newer samples are in 24/96 (each individual pipe is sampled, more or less) and the computational demands are very serious in terms of CPU and memory, so I'm discovering that none of it is cheap. The real expense is the 3-manual and pedal console itself, so that's where most of my research is going at the moment.

Anyway, there's a lot to figure out here and no triggers will be pulled any time soon. The lead-time for the consoles is many months, and post-Brexit that will probably need to come from Holland as there are a lot of options over there. There might be a fact-finding mission when we're allowed to travel more freely again and when I feel confident of doing so. The audio component will be the last part I suspect, but I'll keep you posted.

Apart from that, I have no plans. But I've said that before.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Having spent the last few years trying to get my system to where I want and have achieved it and after thousands of euros I am going to leave well alone.
I would have to spend many more Thousands to gain any any improvement and that would be subtle to say the least.
So will sit back whisky in hand and enjoy the music and. Xmas. Everybody have a good one
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've given up on getting a pipe organ for home for a variety of reasons,
It is wrong that I cracked a smile at this? Thats not a bit of kit, that's a fully fledged year long project!! And suitable esoteric as well.
Having spent the last few years trying to get my system to where I want and have achieved it and after thousands of euros I am going to leave well alone.
See here - this is wisdom, we'll have none of that here lol!!

I've already had my chips - I invested in a new telly, a nice LG C1 65" job that I'm very happy indeed with. A nice addition to the man cave. There was some madness with DACs and quads during the year too, and that probably isn't going to end very soon either....

Happy Christmas to all
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

I'm on the market for a decent DAC, because I have make the mistake of selling my multibit PCM63k one.
Now I can't made my mind what I want or what I need for my new Hybrid Amp.
Any suggestions and advices would be much appreciated or if someone would lend me a good DAC for a test for few days, would be even better. 🙂
Last edited by Georgi on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Georgi - if you are up for some DIY, the AD1862 from miro1360 on diyaudio is excellent. Use it with a valve output stage and you will get some of the very best of sound for smallish money.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... st-6887009

There are a few here built if you want to listen before committing.