Where do folks buy their physical media?

gravitypump

Re: Where do folks buy their physical media?

Post by gravitypump »

In person (in Dublin) ... Spindizzy, Tower, All City ... but Dublin is really not a great city for record shopping.

Online ... therecordhub.com (Irish, fast shipments), Amazon, HHV.de, Roughtrade (though UK, so now subject to customs), occasionally eBay for out of print stuff.

My favourite option (at least pre-Covid) is a trip to a foreign city with an empty record bag and a trawl around their 2nd hand stores.
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:04 pm While Japanese pressings are about as good as it gets, the sound quality of a lot of them leaves a lot to be desired.

The trick is if you can get Japanese pressings which used the original mastering you are onto a winner.

Here are a couple of Japanese pressings I have which used the original mastering...

DONALD FAGEN – The Nightfly (with US matrix numbers – Masterdisk RL in the runout grooves)
RY COODER – Bop Till You Drop (with US matrix numbers)
YES – 90125 (with US Matrix – Masterdisk RL)
BAD COMPANY – Run With The Pack (with US Sterling matrix)
FLEETWOOD MAC – Mirage (with US matrix numbers – IAM stamp)
RICKIE LEE JONES – Pirates (with US matrix BSK-1-3432 WW1 ANDREA DORIA)
THE EAGLES – The Long Run (with US matrix numbers – Sterling TJ)
I know that some listeners, including highly regarded mastering engineers, criticise Japanese vinyl pressings of Western albums due to a perceived emphasis of the higher frequencies at the expense of the bottom end. I can honestly say that on my system at least, I have rarely experienced this anomaly. Certainly, I have heard one or two Japan reissue albums that have not sounded as good as the first pressing but in most cases the Japanese engineers seemed to have been able to get even better sound than most other countries from much the same source tapes. Of all the Japanese pressings I have and I have a significant number, I can't single out any one that is an 'ear bleeder' or unpleasant to listen to on my system. Now if you go back to the 1970s and 1980s, I would readily agree that U.S. pressed albums of original American recordings can be devastatingly good in terms of presence and a 'you are there' listening experience. Even when original metal parts were supplied to overseas pressing plants that unique American sound was rarely, if ever, captured fully. Many of the American plants in those days did not polish or de-horn the metal parts fearing that this would lead to a loss of high frequency information. That was not the case it seems in Europe or Japan. The U.S. vinyl formulation in those days, although often maligned, was capable of outstanding reproduction albeit with some irritations such as random surface noises in some cases. Take those same U.S pressings today and put them through a state of the art professional cleaning regimen and you can have records that are as quiet as European or indeed Japanese vinyl. That, at least, has been my experience and I have many U.S. pressings in my collection that have been transformed.

I have been listening to some records on the U.S. Rounder label recently and I have been astounded at the superb sound quality and silent record surfaces of that label's product. I really do not think that any overseas pressing of these same records will replicate the sound of the U.S original? I would love if the U.S pressing plants of today, such as they are, could 'resurrect' that vinyl formulation of heretofore and use it again. I agree that when the Japanese used the original U.S. metal parts, the sound can be quite compelling but I do not think it ever quite reached the sonic heights of a good U.S. original as it somehow sounded 'different', but not necessarily in a bad way either. Everything of course is system dependant and some systems possibly emphasise the upper frequencies while others offer a more balanced picture throughout the frequency range. To your list, you can add LED ZEPPELIN's "Presence" album with the blue Obi strip, STEPHEN STILLS "2", PAUL SIMON 'Graceland", RY COODER "Get Rhythm", FLEETWOOD MAC "Tusk", SIMON & GARFUNKEL "The Concert in Central Park" 2LP, NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE "Zuma" and many more. I think it is fair to say however that the vast majority of listeners will be more than happy with Japanese pressings which sound great even as used M- purchases and do not require access to very expensive cleaning machines to release their full potential.
gravitypump

Post by gravitypump »

[replying to myself :-) ]

Also - https://store.dublinvinyl.com/ is a sister operation of The Record Hub and is actually a pressing plant, the only one in Ireland I believe. They do sell direct and sometimes have items by Irish artists that are hard to get elsewhere.
gravitypump wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 pm In person (in Dublin) ... Spindizzy, Tower, All City ... but Dublin is really not a great city for record shopping.

Online ... therecordhub.com (Irish, fast shipments), Amazon, HHV.de, Roughtrade (though UK, so now subject to customs), occasionally eBay for out of print stuff.

My favourite option (at least pre-Covid) is a trip to a foreign city with an empty record bag and a trawl around their 2nd hand stores.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seeing mention of a new online Dublin record dealer called Backspace Records, launching in February. Anyone know anything? I saw it mentioned by a friend (who I trust) on Instagram (which I never trust!) so we'll see.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Bandcamp- some stuff going missing from UK now but usually good.
Discogs- high postage rates but wide choice
Amazon- wide selection
Ebay- need to search for EU sellers but good value CDs can be had
JazzMessangers in Spain- quick delivery to Ireland stocks Steeplechase vinyl reissues, CDs, etc
Vinyl hub- speedy delivery from Ireland
Jazz House Records UK mail order- great guy but postage high

Adverts- good CD seller based in Finglas has wide selection and vinyl too.

Don't like town much anymore but will go to Spindizzy as have not been there in years.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Rayfi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:47 am Don't like town much anymore but will go to Spindizzy as have not been there in years.
I am the same regarding going into town! I have to say Spindizzy Records have upped their game and are probably the best shop in town.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I did a test order with jazzmessengers when I saw your post - they shipped today, so lets see what turns up in a weeks or so.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Pz.Kpfw.IV

Post by Pz.Kpfw.IV »

HI,

I (re)joined this forum to actually ask the question (i lost my password) about where to purchase cd's, just would anyone know anywhere other than amazon to get things like "serves you right to suffer" (the re issued edition)

Or Tinariwen etc?
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Mine came fast Fran with a nice tote bag. Also check out Jazz Room Records on Bandcamp. I bought a nice John Patton reissue off them a few weeks ago. Again no problem with delivery.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

I am the same regarding going into town! I have to say Spindizzy Records have upped their game and are probably the best shop in town.
[/quote]

Yes I must pay them a visit they are going a long time. I was thinking the other day it's a pity the big vinyl store in Galway didn't survive long enough for the revival. I can't remember the name but it was at back of Shop Street a fine big store with lots of Jazz. Must be gone 10 years at least.