Where do folks buy their physical media?

RickyB75

Where do folks buy their physical media?

Post by RickyB75 »

A long time ago, I used to be able to source and buy almost any CD on Amazon, for relative pennies and the cost of shipping.
Now the options on Amazon are very limited, and the cost of physical media on Discogs (primarily CD's in my case) is astronomical.
You can forget choice in places like Golden Discs for anything outside the absolute mainstream.
Where do other folk buy their CD's and vinyl from?

Thanks,

Ricky
Ivor

Re: Where do folks buy their physical media?

Post by Ivor »

RickyB75 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 am A long time ago, I used to be able to source and buy almost any CD on Amazon, for relative pennies and the cost of shipping.
Now the options on Amazon are very limited, and the cost of physical media on Discogs (primarily CD's in my case) is astronomical.
You can forget choice in places like Golden Discs for anything outside the absolute mainstream.
Where do other folk buy their CD's and vinyl from?

Thanks,

Ricky
I tend to only buy vinyl so I get 90% of mine from Spindizzy in the George's Street Arcade. A wide selection, sensible prices and their service has always been an example to others.

S/H vinyl tends to come from the Vintage Vinyl Co-op and Jamboree Emporium in Rathangan Co Kildare. It kinda grew holistically from a Facebook page into a support group and mutual amusement society, Build around the local Men's Shed. I've picked up some gems there in every genre and it supports local bands who we might never hear of but should.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Most new released vinyl I buy from amazon. I prefer them due to their return policy. I have returned a few in the past due to pressing issues and amazon is the easiest to do that.

Discogs for rarities/or just regular 2nd hand not really viable now unless you can get them delivered to northern ireland.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

peelaaa wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 pm Most new released vinyl I buy from amazon. I prefer them due to their return policy. I have returned a few in the past due to pressing issues and amazon is the easiest to do that.
I've had a few pressing issues and indeed 2 Disc ones or whatever - Spindizzy sort me out every time. With a smile and gratitude.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

TBH I don't buy much physical media or physical anything these days. I have not used my eBay or Amazon accounts now for perhaps more than a year.

WRT LP / CD's I did buy from Norman Records & Infraction Records in the past. I have not bought anything from them in some time now, primarily due to my work / life imbalance getting seriously disrupted, postage + import expenses. I just could not be bothered paying large % fees for taxes & custom charges etc.

Band Camp is now my main focus point, I like the idea of money going to the artist, additionally discounts are given to purchasing entire discographies.

On the other hand.... physical street shops are disappearing at a rate of knots, I do feel sorry for the jobs lost and lack of diversity. Going to town / shopping centre can be rather boring

There seems to be very few retail outlets for men these days. Hardware shops are interesting, but if you are really into DIY, it's best done with a shed / workshop out the back, but most modern houses (high density etc) don't have garages or even a side entrance, some don't even have a garden!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

It would be Spindizzy Records (the most improved record shop in the last 10 years), followed by Freebird Records, The Record Spot (used to be great when they were in Fade Street, not so much anymore), Tower Records (if all else fails). Golden Discs (far too expensive for my pocket).
Naimaste

Post by Naimaste »

Cyndale wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:32 pm It would be Spindizzy Records (the most improved record shop in the last 10 years), followed by Freebird Records, The Record Spot (used to be great when they were in Fade Street, not so much anymore), Tower Records (if all else fails). Golden Discs (far too expensive for my pocket).
Excluding GD, thats a saturday for me starting off with a Kaph coffee.

Another one to check out for vinyl is All City on Crow St across from The Record Spot. Mostly dance music (house/techno/hiphop/disco) but interesting selection of jazz/african/soul/funk stuff and varied s/h records.
The bookshop part of the Secret Book and Record Store always have a good selection of music related books. (Freebird being the record store part).
RickyB75

Post by RickyB75 »

Some interesting choices, and the the same name cropping up a coupe of times, will add these shops to my bookmarks.

Will add, as one of the replies alludes to, import duties and taxation have severely hampered my buying power.

Ricky
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Naimaste wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:24 pm
Cyndale wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:32 pm It would be Spindizzy Records (the most improved record shop in the last 10 years), followed by Freebird Records, The Record Spot (used to be great when they were in Fade Street, not so much anymore), Tower Records (if all else fails). Golden Discs (far too expensive for my pocket).
Excluding GD, thats a saturday for me starting off with a Kaph coffee.

Another one to check out for vinyl is All City on Crow St across from The Record Spot. Mostly dance music (house/techno/hiphop/disco) but interesting selection of jazz/african/soul/funk stuff and varied s/h records.
The bookshop part of the Secret Book and Record Store always have a good selection of music related books. (Freebird being the record store part).
Hey guys, when sitting in front of Kaph, with the cup if coffee in your hands, if you hear husband and wife speaking italian, then it is me and my wife following exactly the same path.
We could even schedule a weekly meeting over there!

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
markof

Post by markof »

I cannot recommend these lads highly enough:

https://musiczone.ie

Their enthusiasm for recorded music goes above and beyond including a weekly email newsletter.

They are located in the southern capital and have a good online presence too.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X