Where do folks buy their physical media?

Satrus

Re: Where do folks buy their physical media?

Post by Satrus »

Based here in the south of the country, I can also enthusiastically recommend Musiczone who are based in the suburbs of Cork City out at Togher. If you're not based near Cork, they provide an excellent mail order service nationwide and beyond. Bunker Vinyl in the city centre is also worth a visit and you can find some interesting back catalogue items there. For hard to get items which do not have distribution in Ireland, I use JPC in Germany (www.jpc.de) and have been doing so for well over 20 years at this stage. I don't deal at all with U.K. suppliers and haven't in decades actually, due to the very high valuation of Sterling and now of course with the Brexit aftermath and its consequences. I think Irish people, in general, sometimes do not realise that there are loads of great new and used records in Germany and the Netherlands amongst others that can be purchased via Discogs and shipping costs tend to be reasonable. I found also over the years that Royal Mail packages sometimes reached me in a deplorable condition even when the packaging used was sturdy and fit for purpose, Diverse Vinyl for example. Japan is also a very interesting place to purchase records and there are loads of great NM/M- records available going back to the 60s and 70s. Nobody looks after records as well as the Japanese (and me of course!) and M- graded vinyl is as good as new. Japanese sellers are honest and serious and really know how to grade vinyl accurately. Of course, Japan orders will attract importation taxes (VAT) and Post Offices charges but they are still worth it as the quality is outstandingly good. This past week I bought 3 records from sources in the U.S.A. I particularly wanted the U.S. edition of R.E.M.'s 'Monster' 25th Anniversary release as the U.S. RTI pressed release uses the Joe Nino Hernes' original Sterling mastering while the European release uses an inferior Optimal Media 'in house' mastering. The others were two reissues by The Pentangle, their very first one and 'Basket of Light' licensed by Renaissance Records in Phoenix, Arizona. By all accounts these sound fabulously good and were pressed at Gotta Groove in Cleveland, OH., which is an outstanding manufacturer in my experience.

I always try to support the local retailer(s) when it comes to titles that they can obtain, but frequently I am looking for audiophile releases from the likes of Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure etc. and long out of print titles that cannot be obtained here. As a matter of interest, does anybody handle Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure, Mobile Fidelity etc. here in Ireland? Over Christmas I noticed some Analogue Productions Jazz Vinyl in Golden Discs so things appear to be on the up as regards supply here?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

another Irish operation with a great reputation...
https://therecordhub.com/

They were recommended to me by a friend of this forum long ago so I had to go digging to make 100% I was recommending the right one! These guys are music head and delivery in Ireland is free on orders over €40
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Satrus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:00 am Based here in the south of the country, I can also enthusiastically recommend Musiczone who are based in the suburbs of Cork City out at Togher. If you're not based near Cork, they provide an excellent mail order service nationwide and beyond. Bunker Vinyl in the city centre is also worth a visit and you can find some interesting back catalogue items there. For hard to get items which do not have distribution in Ireland, I use JPC in Germany (www.jpc.de) and have been doing so for well over 20 years at this stage. I don't deal at all with U.K. suppliers and haven't in decades actually, due to the very high valuation of Sterling and now of course with the Brexit aftermath and its consequences. I think Irish people, in general, sometimes do not realise that there are loads of great new and used records in Germany and the Netherlands amongst others that can be purchased via Discogs and shipping costs tend to be reasonable. I found also over the years that Royal Mail packages sometimes reached me in a deplorable condition even when the packaging used was sturdy and fit for purpose, Diverse Vinyl for example. Japan is also a very interesting place to purchase records and there are loads of great NM/M- records available going back to the 60s and 70s. Nobody looks after records as well as the Japanese (and me of course!) and M- graded vinyl is as good as new. Japanese sellers are honest and serious and really know how to grade vinyl accurately. Of course, Japan orders will attract importation taxes (VAT) and Post Offices charges but they are still worth it as the quality is outstandingly good. This past week I bought 3 records from sources in the U.S.A. I particularly wanted the U.S. edition of R.E.M.'s 'Monster' 25th Anniversary release as the U.S. RTI pressed release uses the Joe Nino Hernes' original Sterling mastering while the European release uses an inferior Optimal Media 'in house' mastering. The others were two reissues by The Pentangle, their very first one and 'Basket of Light' licensed by Renaissance Records in Phoenix, Arizona. By all accounts these sound fabulously good and were pressed at Gotta Groove in Cleveland, OH., which is an outstanding manufacturer in my experience.

I always try to support the local retailer(s) when it comes to titles that they can obtain, but frequently I am looking for audiophile releases from the likes of Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure etc. and long out of print titles that cannot be obtained here. As a matter of interest, does anybody handle Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure, Mobile Fidelity etc. here in Ireland? Over Christmas I noticed some Analogue Productions Jazz Vinyl in Golden Discs so things appear to be on the up as regards supply here?
Agree about the japanese 2nd hand market. I was over there in the summer and the selection/quality is outstanding. Not high prices either, more low. Plenty of 2nd hand hifi shops too but need to be careful with the voltage. Its like going back in time over there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I've gotten some great Japanese pressings from http://mvm.ie - local (ish) with no concerns over price or quality. recommended...

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

While Japanese pressings are about as good as it gets, the sound quality of a lot of them leaves a lot to be desired.

The trick is if you can get Japanese pressings which used the original mastering you are onto a winner.

Here are a couple of Japanese pressings I have which used the original mastering...

DONALD FAGEN – The Nightfly (with US matrix numbers – Masterdisk RL in the runout grooves)
RY COODER – Bop Till You Drop (with US matrix numbers)
YES – 90125 (with US Matrix – Masterdisk RL)
BAD COMPANY – Run With The Pack (with US Sterling matrix)
FLEETWOOD MAC – Mirage (with US matrix numbers – IAM stamp)
RICKIE LEE JONES – Pirates (with US matrix BSK-1-3432 WW1 ANDREA DORIA)
THE EAGLES – The Long Run (with US matrix numbers – Sterling TJ)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Ivor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 pm another Irish operation with a great reputation...

They were recommended to me by a friend of this forum long ago so I had to go digging to make 100% I was recommending the right one! These guys are music head and delivery in Ireland is free on orders over €40
I often wondered about them. I suppose if the local record shops don't have I want, it might be worth trying them being Irish. Thanks for the heads up!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I know it's the nature of things, but all the answers so far are about vinyl, which seemed to be a secondary consideration for the OP. Anyone got any suggestions for CDs, or are they really as dead as it seems?

Once upon a time I might have had some suggestions, but I haven't bought a CD in years. How times have changed!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:44 pm I know it's the nature of things, but all the answers so far are about vinyl, which seemed to be a secondary consideration for the OP. Anyone got any suggestions for CDs, or are they really as dead as it seems?
Most of the outlets suggested would also stock CDs. Failing that...... charity shops ;)

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:27 pm
I often wondered about them. I suppose if the local record shops don't have I want, it might be worth trying them being Irish. Thanks for the heads up!
AFAIK they are also part of Vinyl Dublin - a pressing plant etc. So they really are music heads, and they do stock and support Irish bands and artists.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:27 pm
Ivor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 pm another Irish operation with a great reputation...

I've bought a lot of my vinyl there (and by that I mean, about ten records!)

As a quick comparison, most of the stuff Golden Discs sells as 2 for €40 is there for €16.95 each. Delivery is quick, comes from Glasnevin. Range is limited for my taste, but c'est la vie.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2