Where do folks buy their physical media?

Cyndale

Re: Where do folks buy their physical media?

Post by Cyndale »

Has anybody ever heard of or used Vinyl8 (Dublin-based online store) that sells vinyl?
RickyB75

Post by RickyB75 »

Rayfi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:47 am Bandcamp- some stuff going missing from UK now but usually good.
Discogs- high postage rates but wide choice
Amazon- wide selection
Ebay- need to search for EU sellers but good value CDs can be had
JazzMessangers in Spain- quick delivery to Ireland stocks Steeplechase vinyl reissues, CDs, etc
Vinyl hub- speedy delivery from Ireland
Jazz House Records UK mail order- great guy but postage high

Adverts- good CD seller based in Finglas has wide selection and vinyl too.

Don't like town much anymore but will go to Spindizzy as have not been there in years.
Will check out JazzMessengers. Thanks
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rayfi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:47 am Adverts- good CD seller based in Finglas has wide selection and vinyl too.
I contacted this guy and he's sound - one of us!
He buys house clearances and so on... I know a few that do this. It's a hobby more than anything!
Anyway I bought six gem from him at sensible money.
Two Ry Cooder LPs with genuine signatures,
A Dr John I needed to replace anyway - singed and doodled cover!
A Bob Dylan I've been keeping half an eye out for and a couple of wildcards for fun...
All great nick and honest descriptions
PM if you want his name on Adverts - I'm not comfortable giving it out publicly
lps 2.jpg
lps 2.jpg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Yes he is a very nice man, I have not seen him since Covid but have been out to him a few times mainly buying CD's. I wanted that Cooder it was in my wishlist. Its a small world we inhabit. Is there a high fi show this year at all do you know.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I bought 3 records from jazzmessengers in Barcelona - I picked 3 that I had wanted to have, but not necessarily wanted the very best pressings ever. So the ones I bought were just waxtime/DOL type reissues at 15e each, so 45 total, and free shipping that took just 8 days. They arrived well packed, I've only actually listened to one yet and it was fine. The same records are 20e in Tower, haven't checked the other shops here.

So I would be happier now using them for something higher end like a tone poet/classic or analogue productions purchase.
Do or do not, there is no try
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

They are great.
Use them all the time.
Good selection, prompt shipping

https://www.jpc.de/
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Thanks Maciej for the tip on jpc.de
I ordered some items yesterday and seems very efficient with good prices. Shipping was ~€7 for four LPs.

It seems that supply chains have been hit hard, many items out of stock and some not expected for several weeks/months.
A good site.
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

ConorW wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:01 pm Thanks Maciej for the tip on jpc.de
I ordered some items yesterday and seems very efficient with good prices. Shipping was ~€7 for four LPs.

It seems that supply chains have been hit hard, many items out of stock and some not expected for several weeks/months.
A good site.
Conor
You're welcome.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Well I went into town and did Tower, Secret Book, Spin Dizzy but found to my surprise my eyesight has gone to feck so it wasnt an enjoyable experience trying to see the records in the bins. I dont think ill bother again soon. I see the Orb 30th anniversary U.F Orb has been released well pre-order from a UK company called " The Sound of Vinyl". The Orb advertised it directly so im sure its fine. Otherwise its all Bandcamp direct purchaes. Ive been tempted by the collapse of the Yen but Techmoan did a video which showed there are high shippnig and tax charges buying from Japan. I want to buy a Luxman amp secondhand not the high end ones so I might look again at Japanese auction sites.
Derek

Post by Derek »

While in the very wonderful city of Waterford this week I came across Luca Records on Michael Street, it's arranged to encourage browsing, always a good sign and it comes complete with it's very own wee dog to help make your choice. A row of record bins down one side toward the rear of the shop brought me back to my youth, (neither today nor yesterday), with much practiced finger flipping LP after LP that would give a money counter a good run. I picked up "Here Lies The Body" the 2018 release from Adian Moffat and RM Hubbert, a nice unexpected find.

The stock looks to be mostly Indie and champions independent labels with a good smattering of major label releases. The stock while not massively extensive has variety and rarity enough to keep me engaged. Any albums I took the trouble to look over were original release or rerelease from the original label, no dodgy WTF releases.
There's a few bins of second hand stuff, always worth a rummage, but to my mind, and I am a bit detached from the second hand market, a bit on the pricy side. In saying that if you find something you've been hunting, then it's a win, win.
Always happy to bring to notice a bricks and mortar shop to put on your places to visit list.
https://lucarecords.ie/
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.