Room treatment

hudo

Re: Room treatment

Post by hudo »

Sloop John B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 am @hudo where did your room treatment quest lead to in the end?

.sjb
Treatment fixed echo (RT60 around 0.3s), but can't fix room mode at 42hz (room is 4x5m, and 42hz is that 4m depth) so had to do a small trick - close bass reflex ports of the speakers to have bigger roll off of low frequencies (makes speaker sealed box), and then use a subwoofer at the place where it doesn't trigger that room mode but compensates for a small lack of bass freqs.

Think i settled with the treatment so far (2 panels behind speakers, 2 on ceiling, 3 behind listening place), and will be experimenting with different speakers maybe, just to see if smaller/different speakers don't trigger that room mode that much.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

hudo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:16 pm
Sloop John B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 am @hudo where did your room treatment quest lead to in the end?

.sjb
Treatment fixed echo (RT60 around 0.3s), but can't fix room mode at 42hz (room is 4x5m, and 42hz is that 4m depth) so had to do a small trick - close bass reflex ports of the speakers to have bigger roll off of low frequencies (makes speaker sealed box), and then use a subwoofer at the place where it doesn't trigger that room mode but compensates for a small lack of bass freqs.

Think i settled with the treatment so far (2 panels behind speakers, 2 on ceiling, 3 behind listening place), and will be experimenting with different speakers maybe, just to see if smaller/different speakers don't trigger that room mode that much.
Any speaker with a decent response in that range will trigger it, I am afraid. I don't know how many dB the mode at 42Hz is above the rest of the spectrum, but if it is only few dB a good speaker could be a sealed box with emission range starting around 48-50Hz, so that you could use the mode at 42Hz to extend the emission range; but the result would be difficult to predict. When I had problems with a very strong mode around 50Hz the only speakers with decent results were sealed box with limited range in the low frequencies. Klipsch Heresy was a winning one.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
hudo

Post by hudo »

Brutus1968 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:57 pm
Any speaker with a decent response in that range will trigger it, I am afraid. I don't know how many dB the mode at 42Hz is above the rest of the spectrum, but if it is only few dB a good speaker could be a sealed box with emission range starting around 48-50Hz, so that you could use the mode at 42Hz to extend the emission range; but the result would be difficult to predict. When I had problems with a very strong mode around 50Hz the only speakers with decent results were sealed box with limited range in the low frequencies. Klipsch Heresy was a winning one.

Best
True, peak was at least 10-15db, specially because thats also a tuning frequency of the port.
But, speaker works well with ports closed, seems to be designed that way so it can work in the smaller rooms.

Here's stereophile measurements (red line is with ports closed):

(from https://www.stereophile.com/content/q-a ... asurements)

And my measurements, maybe not the most recent one, but kinda close (L+R speaker, ports closed, KC62 sub in the corner):
Screenshot 2024-02-09 115336.png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 115336.png (84.05 KiB) Viewed 184 times
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500