Artificial Intelligence to improve decoding of MP3 files

james

Artificial Intelligence to improve decoding of MP3 files

Post by james »

"Using a GAN architecture to restore heavily compressed music files"

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-08- ... ic.html

The article claims that AI (artificial intelligence) can "guess" the best way to restore some of the stuff lost when music is compressed to MP3.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
hudo

Re: Artificial Intelligence to improve decoding of MP3 files

Post by hudo »

Few years ago i was saying that maybe we can use AI to recreate lost info from compressed files:)
When you look what they're doing with images and Dall-E, i wouldn't be surprised if somebody finds a way how to train a model with compressed music. Maybe thats a chance for Spotify to finally gets "lossless" streaming?
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
james

Post by james »

I am not too interested in AI as a means of improving MP3 playback (it's always better to go back to the original CD rip - if available).
But it could be really good for improving old recordings (e.g. 78's) by removing surface noise, extending the frequency range etc. It could even (dare I say it) produce a convincing stereo effect from a mono record.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm with you on this James. I would suspect that figuring out how to improve a lossy jpeg file for a photo file is not that much different than an mp3 for music.... to a computer/engineer.

But its probably only relevant in very niche situations.
Do or do not, there is no try