Sold.. willsenton R8 tube integrated amplifier

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Ivor

Sold.. willsenton R8 tube integrated amplifier

Post by Ivor »

It's a bloody impressive amp - seriously well built and part of a whole new era of high quality, high value Chi-Fi products.

It's not just hype that a lot of audiophiles sold their beloved McIntosh (and similar) amps once they heard the R8. Three inputs, a choice of output tubes (KT88 or EL34). change tube output from Triode to Ultra-liniar from the remote while you listen. I found out that Amy Winehouse had a very bony arse because she was sitting on my knee when I listened in Ultra-linier.
The remote is all metal and it can rattle but you could drive a truck over it with out doing damage. A rattle could be cured with some carefully place blu-tac

You can still buy the standard R8 from China landed in Ireland for about €1500 including delivery, taxes and whatever other duties are involved.
My experience was buy/order in May. Daily contact from June onwards as to why my amp hadn't arrived when I knew it was in the country.
and then finally on July 5th I got it home once I found out a Customs Officer made several assumptions (all wrong) I received the amp and an apology almost simultaneously.

I'm looking for a straight €1600 to include upgraded PSVANE preamp tubes and and upgraded voltage regulator tube. I will also throw in four Tesla/JJ EL34 tubes as they work well in this amp. The KT88 tubes are Willsenton's own as they are really very good and the choice of those tubes is easy.

Comes with original double boxed packaging.

Incidentally EL34s are considered more musical, KT88s more 'punchy' - it all depends on your equipment, type of music and mood.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Re: for sale... willsenton R8 tube integrated amplifier

Post by Cyndale »

Are you moving away from valve amplifiers?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:43 pm Are you moving away from valve amplifiers?
Never!

I bought this while confined with a broken ankle and it was indeed a lovely amp (the devil will find work for idle limbs to do!) But as we were planning a house move it was easier to put to "go to" amplification into storage and use this in the mean time. My main amp for as long as I can remembers the Airtight ATM1s bought the October 2008! 14 years and it feels as if I've had it forever :) As the Airtight is essentially a power amp with gain via two inputs it became a little restrictive so when serendipity gave an opportunity of a pre amp (fully upgraded) from Wired 4 Sound a few years ago I tried it and it is a great match.

I honestly thought the Willsenton was a match for the the Airtight/W4S combo but after a year or more I recently put the Airtight back in the system and while not a huge obvious difference it was enough to box up the Willsenton. Given that the current combo new would be $9500 + $3500 it's no surprise that it would be "better" than a €1500 amp. What is a surprise is that the difference is subtle. If I didn't have the set up I currently have I'd be very very happy with the R8. It is a massive bargain.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You bought the Air Tights 14 years ago?? Jerciful Maysus...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:38 pm You bought the Air Tights 14 years ago?? Jerciful Maysus...
I knew it was a while ago but... looked back at the emails with my dealer... Yep. October 2008. Bought the Lector CDP at the same time. All open box

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I was on honeymoon in early October 2008. Obviously your Air Tight and Lector purchase is similarly significant in my memory.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:07 pm I was on honeymoon in early October 2008. Obviously your Air Tight and Lector purchase is similarly significant in my memory.
Would this be a bad time to suggest an integrated tube amp would be the ideal anniversary gift for the wife in your life?
The discreet cartouche is still vacant

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

She does enjoy the warm glow...
willsandbills

Post by willsandbills »

Hi Ivor. I’m trying to send a pm to you but does not seem to work for me. Can you pm me pls ?. Re willenston

Willie
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

willsandbills wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:27 pm Hi Ivor. I’m trying to send a pm to you but does not seem to work for me. Can you pm me pls ?. Re willenston

Willie
PM sent.
Check to see is you have a lot of PMs stored... a good clear out every now and again is needed!