Luxman

Rayfi

Luxman

Post by Rayfi »

Hi
Can anyone describe the sound of a vintage Luxman amplifier. I am looking for a warm tube like amp not a cold clinical type amp like say modern cambridge audio with their digital volume steps. I have an old Marantz PM4001 ose going at the minute would I be just as well buying the step up 8006 Marantz new rather than vintage. The head scrather is I also have a Rotel 821a which sounds very lively which drew me to look at more expensive vintage. Im in a box room (is that a thing outside of Ireland) with Klipsch RP400m speakers, a audiolab 6000cdt, a tube buffer from yaqin and a Fluance RT82 turntable I only dabble in vinyl. For the tiny size of the room is it even worth changing amplifier. Interested in any opinions. Room is untreated, dormer and about 3m long and 2.2m width. Speakers set up on long wall on proper desk stands.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Luxman

Post by Fran »

Its an almost impossible answer to give you I think. The only way is to have a listen to a few and decide yourself I think. The one thing about buying vintage is that you are buying something 30, 40, 50 years old. When something goes wrong you are looking at getting someone to fix it.... and if it is some part that is no longer available you're kinda stuck with a boat anchor.

So if you are buying vintage, buy something that has serviceable parts, where all the bits are available. I stay well away from many CD players now as so many of the transports or lasers are gone (looking at high end Sony here in particular).
Do or do not, there is no try
Rayfi

Re: Luxman

Post by Rayfi »

Yes its tricky. Vintage even say 80s now is 40+ years old and can probably be repaired but can you find a tech to do it. The brittle plastic on cd players from late 80s one slip and its broken.