New Desktop speakers

Rayfi

New Desktop speakers

Post by Rayfi »

What do ye think lads. Replacing MA BR2 and Klipsch RP400m.
I would go to 1k.

For desktop in a box room, must be able to go close to or at wall and a dormer corner! Room untreated but big full lenght bookshelfs behind me. Nearfield. Speakers would be 6 ft apart on stands.

What speakers would ye suggest auditioning. Elwctronica, jazz, ambient my main listens but listen to a bit of everything. Listening at low volume.
Derek

Re: New Desktop speakers

Post by Derek »

Not trying to be clever here, but that looks like headphone territory.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Hi Derek, there is plenty of space along the long wall. My desk is 200cm. The japanese put floorstanders in smaller spaces. Headphones would be good of course but I personally dont like wearing them for long.
hudo

Post by hudo »

I recently replaced my desktop setup (from Audioengine A2), was searching for a decent passive nearfield monitor that can fit on a normal computer desk (180cm). Went with Sound Artists LS3/5 (clone, of course), but Dali Minuets were also a close contender. Powered by chi-fi Douk Audio ST-O1 (class D, tube buffer, DAC, small size. Same amp as Ayimia T9).
Reviewers were saying that Sound Artists is one of the best near field monitor up to about 1k €, but can't confirm or deny that since its almost only monitor i heard at my place:) But very satisfied with the result (with LS3/5 its all about mids and tone, not so much lows/highs even tho they're good. Even have Velodyne sub that i don't even power on ever), total investment around 500-600€ including the amp.
There's one Sound Artists on Adverts, you can maybe even lower the price a bit.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Derek

Post by Derek »

Rayfi wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:29 pm Hi Derek, there is plenty of space along the long wall. My desk is 200cm. The japanese put floorstanders in smaller spaces. Headphones would be good of course but I personally dont like wearing them for long.
I don't do headphones either, headphones and hearing aids don't mix.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
james

Post by james »

Hi Hudo,
Two questions.
a) What are the speaker enclosures made of ?
b) Dis you but them from China and had you any problems with import duty etc
Best wishes
James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
hudo

Post by hudo »

james wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:40 pm Hi Hudo,
Two questions.
a) What are the speaker enclosures made of ?
b) Dis you but them from China and had you any problems with import duty etc
Best wishes
James
1) some plywood, standard speaker enclosure i would say. Original LS3/5 are even a bit lighter since box is specially tuned for resonance, but build of this chi-fi is really decent, quite heavy boxes (ignoring the fact that original LS3/5 looks like its duck-taped with velcros and staples, a joke)
2) I bought it second hand from Adverts, but Sound Artists sells that speaker (specific colors, to be precise) from EU, they have warehouse here, so no taxes/customs and free shipping. Thats why be careful how much you pay second hand since new delivered to door are ~550-600€.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
james

Post by james »

Thanks Hudo,
I might consider a pair after Christmas. I see they are listed on aliexpress.
Best wishes
James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
paulb

Post by paulb »

Would have a look at eclipse td...nearfield they would be excelent.