Free Quad 57s

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Kn31

Free Quad 57s

Post by Kn31 »

In 2019, I purchased a pair of Quad 57s off eBay, thinking I would double my pleasure and quadruple my fun by stacking the newly acquired pair atop my existing pair, a la the Mark Levinson HQD system. This was during a period in my life when I was deeply enamoured by my Quad 57s and their beguiling sound. As every Quad ESL owner knows, the first phase of the Quad addiction is the search for the perfect partnering amplifier for these ancient panels and their insane impedance curve. The second phase of the addiction, which was the phase I was in when I bought the pair off eBay, is the search for more Quad-ness. Like a junkie needing a bigger hit, I decided that what would really complete my life was stacked Quads. I pictured myself throwing dinner parties where I would casually roll out the stacked Quad contraption after dessert to shocked amazement and inquire whether anyone cared for some music.

Fast forward four years, and the eBay Quads sit where they sat when they first arrived in my house: in their boxes. I never bothered unboxing them, even to examine their condition. In my defense, a lot happened during those 4 years. We had a pandemic. I bought a house. I developed new addictions, er, hobbies.

Come take the Quads off me. I don’t want money because these things are ancient and I have no idea what their condition is, having never unboxed them. Please don’t ask me if they come with the charging cables or the stubby Quad feet (same reason as the previous sentence). I don’t know what their serial numbers are, but I believe they are the later versions with the cloth as opposed to metal grille. For what it’s worth, I paid 899 GBP for them when I purchased them off eBay in 2019.

Ideally you have experience with Quad 57s and can give these speakers the love and attention they deserve.

Even more ideally, you can introduce these wonders to the next generation of audiophiles.

Collection in Dublin 6 only.
Diapason

Re: Free Quad 57s

Post by Diapason »

Well, I love this post. You're crazy, of course, and people are going to beat a path to your front door, but I love the sentiment here.

I hope they go to a worthy home. Me? I already had my Quad phase...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Hi, I sent you a PM

thanks
tony

Post by tony »

If Ian doesn't take them I would happily take them. I am in D6 also so collection is no problem.
Last edited by tony on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
james

Post by james »

Really decent of you ..
Really hope they get a good home.
I have a set I bought in the late 70's and still use them (after getting them refurbished about 15 years ago)
They are difficult speakers to live with (need space) but worth it ..
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Kn31

Post by Kn31 »

Thank you all for your interest. I'm going with a first-come, first serve approach, so the Quads are going to peelaaa.
tony

Post by tony »

Will be very interested to hear how they work out for you Ian. You will have the same problem with regard to space as the 63's you own, probably more so with the 57's but there is every possibility given what Kenneth has advised about this pair that they could be in very good condition. Sounds like they are a pair that were refurbished by OTA given the cloth finish. I had 57s and 63's together for awhile and swapped them around. I ended up choosing the 63's but have to be honest and admit I still have a soft spot for the 57s. The mid-range is to die for.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Thanks Tony.
I'll see how they work out. Its not a speaker I have heard yet and really looking forward to hearing that mid range.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Good luck with them @peelaa - they are a gorgeous speaker when running right. Get them up off the floor about 18" and pretty much vertical.

If the HT is tired, do the diodes and caps in the power supply, check if the resistors in the audio transformer have drifted off. Put in a protection system (if the clamps are not already there) and you will be rewarded! Doing anything with the panels on them is far trickier than with 63s but they do not fail in the same way.

Great to see them going to a good home where they will be enjoyed.
Do or do not, there is no try