Sunday Morning Music

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Re: Sunday Morning Music

Post by Derek »

cybot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:36 pm
Talking about the oud have you ever heard of Sandy Bull? He’s also noted for his two brief collaborations with Billy Higgins; Blend and Blend II Ist and 2nd albums respectively. Have a listen to Blend II and marvel at the simplicity of Billy’s drum break. Continuity and simplicity.

Sticking with the oud this time have a listen to the second YouTube clip. Probably depicting a sad Sunday somewhere when Sunday was actually a day of rest.

Never came across Sandy Bull, some nice stripped back playing, in the less is more category.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm
Talking about the oud have you ever heard of Sandy Bull? He’s also noted for his two brief collaborations with Billy Higgins; Blend and Blend II Ist and 2nd albums respectively. Have a listen to Blend II and marvel at the simplicity of Billy’s drum break. Continuity and simplicity.

Sticking with the oud this time have a listen to the second YouTube clip. Probably depicting a sad Sunday somewhere when Sunday was actually a day of rest.

Never came across Sandy Bull, some nice stripped back playing, in the less is more category.
Less is more is what creates the space between the notes. That undefinable element which brings a certain sense of awe and magic. Very rarely happens but when it does…….
Anyway thanks for the comment.
Derek

Post by Derek »

cybot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:13 pm

Less is more is what creates the space between the notes. That undefinable element which brings a certain sense of awe and magic. Very rarely happens but when it does…….
If you're a fan of less is more guitarists, you should get a listen to Rick Holmstrom, he's been the main man touring and recording with Mavis Staples over the years, as well as finding time to record some of his original music, that's assuming you haven't already got a shelf full of his music already.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:32 pm
cybot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:13 pm

If you're a fan of less is more guitarists, you should get a listen to Rick Holmstrom, he's been the main man touring and recording with Mavis Staples over the years, as well as finding time to record some of his original music, that's assuming you haven't already got a shelf full of his music already.
No I don’t have a shelf full of his music already lol! In fact I’ve never heard of him. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll definitely check him out.

Strange too that you should mention Mavis Staples. You won’t believe this. Always happening to me. While I was doing the Sandy Bull post I decided to listen to his first album Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo (I kid you not!). Then I read the sleeve notes. Here’s the bit that ties in with your comment on Mavis :

“The earthy Gospel Tune (last track on the album) is based on the structure of the tune Good News, which became secularised by Ray Charles into I Got A Woman. Using a Fender electric guitar, Bull projects a powerfully vibrato, somewhat in the style of Mississippi born Roebuck Staples,the guitar playing patriarch of the Staples Singers, this listener’s choice for the most inexorably moving of all Gospel groups. The interpretation is a distillation of the aggressive poignancy of country blues guitar. Bull accompanies himself here on foot cymbals”.

Derek

Post by Derek »

cybot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 pm “... Bull projects a powerfully vibrato, somewhat in the style of Mississippi born Roebuck Staples, the guitar playing patriarch of the Staples Singers, this listener’s choice for the most inexorably moving of all Gospel groups.

Pops Staples, what a guitar great. He deserves to be revered among the best.
The understated ease that he projected was his stock-in-trade.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Yet another guitarist I haven’t heard properly. Simple reason for that I was never that gone on Soul or whatever you call it.
Derek

Post by Derek »