Sunday Morning Music

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Sunday Morning Music

Post by Derek »

Sunday morning is, in this house anyway, the slowest time of the week. Easy, languid, gentle, a coffee and toast start to-the-end-of-the week.
Over the years there has been many pieces of, mainly, instrumental music to relax me into near-enough lunch time, but one I keep coming back to is a CD I bought, well over 20 years ago, because it looked interesting, no other reason I'd no real idea or information about the artist, it just looked interesting, a book by the cover decision.

Albéniz - Iberia, with Alicia De Larrocha - piano.

Now this might be a no brainer to some of you guys, but to me it's outside of my usual listening genre.
I'm not a classical music aficionado, ask anyone I've inflicted some out-of-leftfield tracks, but this just works so very well on Sunday mornings.

Solo piano, evoking the Andalucia region of Spain.
In much of these musical impressions, Iberia is tranquil, graceful, fluid, but still holds onto passion and a central rhythm.
I just opened the booklet, something I haven't done for many years, to see my remembered feel of the music there, in black and white, only far more eloquently expressed.

Now, I invite you to share some Sunday Morning Listening Music.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Re: Sunday Morning Music

Post by Diapason »

I actually listened to some of that album yesterday after your post, Derek. It's one of those classic albums that was always considered the premier choice for that repertoire. And if still delivers!

My Sunday morning listening is generally radio, but I listen to Spotify playlists quite a lot these days. Lounge Soft House gets a lot of background chilling use.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

Being played back to back, just gorgeous offerings from this Tunisian oud player, on the ECM label, so you know it's going to sound great.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Derek wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am Image

Being played back to back, just gorgeous offerings from this Tunisian oud player, on the ECM label, so you know it's going to sound great.
Sounds great. I must get a listen to some of that music next time that I am down your way.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Derek

Post by Derek »

You might even get a cuppa.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Cybot recommended I listen to Gabor Szabo, so I bought this album.

Just the right tone for a Sunday morning.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:36 pm Cybot recommended I listen to Gabor Szabo, so I bought this album.

Nice of you to remember. As I recall this was the first one I recommended.

Have never gotten around to actually buying Sorcerer. God only knows the number of times I’ve bypassed it for something else.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am Image

Talking about the oud have you ever heard of Sandy Bull? He’s also noted for his two brief collaborations with Billy Higgins; Blend and Blend II Ist and 2nd albums respectively. Have a listen to Blend II and marvel at the simplicity of Billy’s drum break. Continuity and simplicity.

Sticking with the oud this time have a listen to the second YouTube clip. Probably depicting a sad Sunday somewhere when Sunday was actually a day of rest.

cybot

Post by cybot »

The only album I have of Anouar. Wow!

Derek

Post by Derek »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:36 pm Cybot recommended I listen to Gabor Szabo, so I bought this album.

And the beat goes on, nice relaxing groove to it.