Time to say...... Goodbye?

Fran
Site Admin

Time to say...... Goodbye?

Post by Fran »

Hi all,

Well, over the last few months I've been keeping an eye here, and have come to the conclusion that it is time to retire this forum. Most days there is little traffic here, and even fewer posts. I think it has outlived its usefulness.

Having said that, there has been so much good and useful discussion here that it would be a shame to lose it, so the plan right now is to create a backup, which will be private but at least if someone was desperately searching for something they could contact me. This will not include messages or member details however, only public posts.

In the meantime, we can still keep in contact via the facebook page available at https://www.facebook.com/tirnahifi.hifigeeks (and I really hope we do keep in touch!)

The last day of operation here will be 16th January 2024.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Re: Time to say...... Goodbye?

Post by james »

Thanks Fran for years of the site.
Really sorry to see it go.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
block

Post by block »

That's sad to hear. I check in a lot but rarely post as I feel most here are far more knowledgeably than me and I don't upgrade much.

Remember the days of cloney newsletters physically sent out, then cloney forums and lastly tirnahifi.
Hope the Hifi hobby in Ireland does not fizzle out.

Thanks for the hard work.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

No way, I'm very sorry to hear that.

It's seems I can't find that Facebook page to join.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Sad to see the place go but I see your point re activity.

Was just considering a a [WTD] Speaker post!

Thanks for keeping it going for so long.

I don’t do facebook so might see some of you on Pink Fish!

.sjb
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Same here, so sad to hear the news. I got some great advice here over the years.
james

Post by james »

Some thoughts ...

a) It might be worth keeping control of the site name in case someone wants to resurrect it in the future

b) An option might be to just freeze the site as it is and not allow any more postings

c) I am not a member of facebook and I don't intend to join it.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
hudo

Post by hudo »

Unfortunately there's isn't much activity here, very sorry to see this Forum being shut down but also understand Frans reasons...

Facebook and Discord (Telegram and Whatsapp also) took over smaller communities like this, with its easier and more convenient use, no point in fighting the future and progress:)

Few ideas:
- there's still lots of valuable content here that people shared, like DAC construction notes, etc, how to keep that available? Can Forum be made read-only?
- FB link is for a person, think there are some limitations if you create discuss group as a person instead of org or whatever FB has to such things. Would it be worthwhile changing this?
- who owns "HIFI Ireland" FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/767463606685122)? Any connection with this Forum?
- as a software engineer by trade, I can offer assistance and resources (in terms of time, server, hosting...) in keeping this forum alive, at least in read-only mode, or even moderating FB/Discord...
- I would very much like to keep in touch with people from this forum, hope we can all agree what can be a new social network platform where we can all collectively be curing our "Restless audio syndrome" infection :) When we decide whats that new place, we can link it from here as an "official message"
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Many thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Like you all, I don't want to let it go to oblivion, but also, it has clearly outlived its life here too.

Hudo - PM sent to you....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
hudo

Post by hudo »

Fran wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:59 pm Many thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Like you all, I don't want to let it go to oblivion, but also, it has clearly outlived its life here too.

Hudo - PM sent to you....

Fran
Didn't get anything, sure its sent? Or you turned the engine off already:)
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500