Time to say...... Goodbye?

Diapason

Re: Time to say...... Goodbye?

Post by Diapason »

james wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:02 pm I have a question about the site ..
I have just posted in the "Classical/What are you Listening Two" thread.
I include a link to a website (discogs) and a link to a picture (amazon).
Neither is immediately visible.
When I click on the site link it works but when I click on the image nothing happens (but if I open the image in a new tab it works).
I have tried firefox and chrome.
I fixed the image for you, James. You had linked to the Amazon page containing the image rather than a link to the image itself. Basically if the link doesn't end in .jpg or .PNG or whatever, it won't work. Getting that link depends on what you're using. For example, on my phone if I long click a picture I get an option to "View Image". The address for that page is then a good one.

I can see the discogs link just fine.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

I was recently contacted regarding the proposed demise of this site. I was once an active member here but, like all participants, for one reason or another, I lapsed. The proposed “Goodbye” ultimately became inevitable due to lack of participant engagement.
I, like many here, made lasting friendships through this site and for that I am very grateful.
With reference to all of the previous posts here I was saddened by the prospect of the site’s demise. There is a huge amount of information and references on this site to both great music and to technical matters and it would be dreadful to lose all of that very good information.
There were also very knowledgeable people here who gave a lot of their time and expertise to this site for the benefit of us all.

Huge kudos to Fran for keeping it going for so long in the face of indifference and also to “hudo” for taking on board a dying site and trying to reinvigorate it. I certainly hope that the project succeeds.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ah Fergus, I was thinking of you only the other day and wondering how you were. Delighted to see you back!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
hudo

Post by hudo »

BTW, small update: site was moved to the new server, so will stay alive, and I am looking at the option for modernizing it a little bit, since thats what most people voted for. Some of the requirements are:
- make things better, not worse, with the new updates :)
- adding some interesting addons to the forum engine. There's no many of them even i expected otherwise, since the engine (phpBB) is quite popular
- at least do some face-lifting, a new graphical theme (no new functionality, just a nicer look)
- migrate to more modern engine. This could be highly beneficial since we'll get some modern social elements (sharing, likes, ...), but also high risk since it can break something thats working fine.

We'll keep you all updated as I try different things, and think a new theme will be one of the first small change.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
james

Post by james »

Diapason wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:24 pm
james wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:02 pm I have a question about the site ..
I have just posted in the "Classical/What are you Listening Two" thread.
I include a link to a website (discogs) and a link to a picture (amazon).
Neither is immediately visible.
When I click on the site link it works but when I click on the image nothing happens (but if I open the image in a new tab it works).
I have tried firefox and chrome.
I fixed the image for you, James. You had linked to the Amazon page containing the image rather than a link to the image itself. Basically if the link doesn't end in .jpg or .PNG or whatever, it won't work. Getting that link depends on what you're using. For example, on my phone if I long click a picture I get an option to "View Image". The address for that page is then a good one.

I can see the discogs link just fine.
Thanks
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
markof

Post by markof »

hudo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:50 am BTW, small update: site was moved to the new server, so will stay alive, and I am looking at the option for modernizing it a little bit, since thats what most people voted for. Some of the requirements are:
- make things better, not worse, with the new updates :)
- adding some interesting addons to the forum engine. There's no many of them even i expected otherwise, since the engine (phpBB) is quite popular
- at least do some face-lifting, a new graphical theme (no new functionality, just a nicer look)
- migrate to more modern engine. This could be highly beneficial since we'll get some modern social elements (sharing, likes, ...), but also high risk since it can break something thats working fine.

We'll keep you all updated as I try different things, and think a new theme will be one of the first small change.
That's very encouraging. The PSAudio forum engine for example https://forum.psaudio.com is very user friendly with social elements and with the ability to paste images directly into the messages.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
hudo

Post by hudo »

markof wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm That's very encouraging. The PSAudio forum engine for example https://forum.psaudio.com is very user friendly with social elements and with the ability to paste images directly into the messages.
Mark
Yes thats the good one, its https://www.discourse.org/, very pricey if hosted by them, but open source so can be hosted on our server. Bit complicated because it requires bunch of things (Redis for caching, docker, ...) but will try to see if we do something with Discourse.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:47 am Ah Fergus, I was thinking of you only the other day and wondering how you were. Delighted to see you back!
Cheers, my friend. All is good here thankfully.
I hope that you have been able to find the time to continue playing music.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:04 am
Bits and bobs, but not nearly as much as I used to, unfortunately. I'm going to try to build it up again this year.

Glad to hear you're well, and great to see you again in these parts.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 pm
fergus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:04 am
Bits and bobs, but not nearly as much as I used to, unfortunately. I'm going to try to build it up again this year.
Good to read that!