Plug question (Solved - Thanks)

HiFiFan

Plug question (Solved - Thanks)

Post by HiFiFan »

I have a number of thick power cables that are terminated with US Oyadie plugs. I need to change these over to UK/Ireland plugs. I don't want to use a ton of adapters. There is no way a standard MK plug will take the cables.

Does anyone have advise on what plugs I could use instead and where to get them.

Thanks,
Jimmy
IMG_0480-1.jpg
IMG_0480-1.jpg (164.89 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Last edited by HiFiFan on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
HiFiFan

Re: Plug question

Post by HiFiFan »

Found a place https://www.mcru.co.uk/ that have some options that should work. Would have preferred to source in Ireland but couldn't find anything
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah I'm not surprised you have to look abroad. Is there any particular skill needed in swapping them out once you get them? I can't imagine there is, but who's knows what secret sauce goes into these things.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

HiFiFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 pm Found a place https://www.mcru.co.uk/ that have some options that should work. Would have preferred to source in Ireland but couldn't find anything
You may also try here: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various- ... c-509.html

As far as I can see the max. accepted cable diameter is 20mm here. If you open your original plug you can see if it is possible to "slim" a bit the cable and maybe customize it for a different plug.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Diapason wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:51 pm Yeah I'm not surprised you have to look abroad. Is there any particular skill needed in swapping them out once you get them? I can't imagine there is, but who's knows what secret sauce goes into these things.
If they are anything like the US Oyaide then no but with the fuses etc the UK ones might not have the direct straight wiring approach offered by the current plugs I have. Most of the plugs were factory installed on my cables but not all so I have experience with the US ones. Worst case I might try return to the manufacturer and ask them to replace them but hopeful what I order will work
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Brutus1968 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm
You may also try here: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various- ... c-509.html

As far as I can see the max. accepted cable diameter is 20mm here. If you open your original plug you can see if it is possible to "slim" a bit the cable and maybe customize it for a different plug.

Best
Thanks, I will compare prices and options
HiFiFan

Re: Plug question (Success)

Post by HiFiFan »

Success. Found some plugs on audiophoics that did the job. 2 of 4 shown below.
Attachments
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Plug question (Solved - Thanks)

Post by Fran »

They look very good indeed - and with that straight profile it makes it easy if you are using several side by side.
Do or do not, there is no try
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Thanks Fran, you are spot on. The fit in well side by side.Just waiting on an extension block from the listening hut now.
cybot

Post by cybot »

That’s a very sensible and practical idea for a plug. Easy to fit anywhere even with wall sockets close to the floor. Now why didn’t other companies think of that??? Yes Titan I’m pointing the finger at you. I use Titan Audio leads and block. The big thick one feeding the mains block from the wall socket. I had to turn the socket upside down to accommodate the lead. It looks like a creeper lol! Having said that they do make good noises in my system. Below the noise floor but of course 😂

Delighted everything worked out for you.

What mains blocks are you thinking of?