Home Trial offer of modified Hiface USB devices

Adrian

Re: Home Trial offer of modified Hiface USB devices

Post by Adrian »

Fascinating!!

I must admit I prefer the old CD player, tending to disdain the newer technology etc etc. However after reading the posts above I suddenly feel "old". Many thanks to all for the honest appraisals.

Certainly gives one food for thought.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote: I must admit I prefer the old CD player, tending to disdain the newer technology etc etc.
I'd be in the same steam boat. Thousands of CDs means I'm not about to change anytime soon and I like the whole tactile experience of getting the CD from the shelf and putting it in the player. Let's be honest it's why a lot of us like vinyl too. Inevitably I will take to a hard drive system sometime and with some enthusiasm too but for now I'll make do with far too many CDs and my old spinny CD player.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

I would be paddling the same canoe also .But an example of the younger generation would be my daughter.I got the florence and the machine CD for her but also with myself in mind. She downloaded it onto the ipod and would end up using the cd as a coaster for her hairspray.
That drives me mad but if she is a general example of how the younger generation will view music the end is nigh at some point.
I was discussing this with a friend last night over beers and we both agreed the experience for the older generation is looking and touching the artwork which is all part of the musical package/experience. This generation don't get it and don't seeme to want it.
I wish that CD's were supplied in packages of similar size to Lp's. At least I could read and view the art work without a magnifying glass.
Maybe if that format had continued things would be different.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, I agree with you guys but when you can have art work & sleeve notes & track listings & background info & artist info & searches for other albums by the same artist & searches for others in the same genre & customised playlists - all done from your favourite chair on your remote control device (iPod. Android) then it becomes less a tactile thing & more a kind of added value from the new medium (once the sound quality is as good or better than the CDP) or you become so unfit that you die prematurely :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

You are a great salesman John! Seriously I think you are right that is the future and still gives access to info artwork etc. Just the oldies like touching things(if you know what I mean).
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Jaysus Tony, that could be taken the wrong way!!!

The stumbling block here I think is:

a) ripping the CDs in the first place tagging etc.
b) having a back-up structure in place.

If you have either of the above already in place then the pain is considerably eased I think..... and really you must have both of these things done. That way, even if a PC/HDD dies on you, its OK. Just a repair needed and no data loss.

After that, its a piece of cake. I personally like to browse the various fora I frequent while listening. Its also nice when you are reading about a band or piece of music on a site somewhere, to be able to pull it up from teh library and listen to it.... without having to find the CD or whatever.

Horses for courses and all that, but one thing is clear. Sound quality from a PC is now easily on a par with very high end CD players for a lot less $$.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Jaysus Tony, that could be taken the wrong way!!!

I realise that but couldnt resist.

Agree with all your thoughts Fran. I really like listening and browsing at the same time.If I could move away from the desktop and embrace a laptop I could even listen to my main system while watching tv and browsing(just need a coffee dock and biscuit tin and drinks cabinet and then I would never move from my chair!

The whole organization thing will be sorted by some steve jobs type.It will be just pop CD in press button a and hey presto it will all be arranged. Your right though at this moment in time its a hassle but its the future. A lot of companies are bringing out music servers in various guises. I assume somebody will incorporate Johns technology into the package at some stage. Definitely wont be able to afford that.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Like a good salesman I'm painting a picture for you in your favourite listening chair, etc.

Yes, copying CDs to disk is a bit of a pain but maybe someone should set-up a service to do this? Who said me?

I'm looking at avoiding PC/laptop altogether by having my device connecting into an Android tablet or Android phone as the playback device. What would people think of this? (Now I have my market research hat on :))
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Android is not for me at the moment but definitely all the young guys in the office just want to live their life throught the phone so its the way to go. Even more customers,I think you are going to have sales in the millions if you keep going like this. Is their commission for useful or useless advice?
cybot

Post by cybot »

jkeny wrote:Like a good salesman I'm painting a picture for you in your favourite listening chair, etc.

Yes, copying CDs to disk is a bit of a pain but maybe someone should set-up a service to do this? Who said me?

I'm looking at avoiding PC/laptop altogether by having my device connecting into an Android tablet or Android phone as the playback device. What would people think of this? (Now I have my market research hat on :))

Exactly the way to go John :-) Anything to do with taking the PC/laptop out of the equation sounds good to me. Don't know much about the Android but what about the iPad?