Classical Streaming Station in Lossless FLAC

jkeny

Classical Streaming Station in Lossless FLAC

Post by jkeny »

I mentioned today at Fran's meeting a steaming radio station, streaming flac - here it is http://radio.cesnet.cz/
A classical streaming station. I believe it is in an experimental stage and the only one of it's kind. It makes available 16 bit 48khz signal streamed. It does need a high bandwidth connection.

I have only got the flac stream working with VLC playback software so far - Enjoy!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Seán

Re: Classical Streaming Station in Lossless FLAC

Post by Seán »

Thanks for that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I'm listening to it at the moment - 16/48KHz stream - I'm seeing stream bitrates of up to 800kb/s

What do you think of the quality?

It also seems possible to record in VLC but I haven't got this working yet :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Seán

Post by Seán »

jkeny wrote:I'm listening to it at the moment - 16/48KHz stream - I'm seeing stream bitrates of up to 800kb/s

What do you think of the quality?

It also seems possible to record in VLC but I haven't got this working yet :)
I'm listening to a different station on the web at present. I'll let you know how I get on later.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

It sounds very nice on the computer, but that's not a real critical test. I was planning to get the squeezebox Touch, then I would then be able to feed it to the dCS Scarlatti DAC, and that ought to give good (that is, CD equivalent) results if it's being done properly. Maybe an internet radio...

Thanks for the VLC tip. None of the millions of programs I have already installed seemed to be able to do anything with it! It's showing on VLC as 48/16, and 600-700 kb/s.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ciaran wrote: Thanks for the VLC tip. None of the millions of programs I have already installed seemed to be able to do anything with it! It's showing on VLC as 48/16, and 600-700 kb/s.
VLC must be one fo the most useful bits of software ever written. Movies, video or music are all played properly (often even partial files can be played) at maximum quality. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest it be one's default player but it should be an option on your system... and yes folks.... it is free.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm having a listen to that station now and it does sound pretty good alright. It seems more forgiving of bandwidth than I thought since my connection here wouldn't be the fastest ever.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Ciaran wrote:It sounds very nice on the computer, but that's not a real critical test. I was planning to get the squeezebox Touch, then I would then be able to feed it to the dCS Scarlatti DAC, and that ought to give good (that is, CD equivalent) results if it's being done properly. Maybe an internet radio...

Thanks for the VLC tip. None of the millions of programs I have already installed seemed to be able to do anything with it! It's showing on VLC as 48/16, and 600-700 kb/s.
if you switched to a mac they have optical digital outputs, so no worries getting info to the scarlatti... and they never break!!

I've just set up airport express (in about 2 minutes) streaming music from my mac in the man-cave in the garden to my fatman in the kitchen using my iphone to control itunes remotely.... I can see my cd's gathering dust already.... the airport will also supply a digital out to your scarlatti so you don't "have" to buy a mac...!! but you should, really, go on....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Modest

Post by Modest »

Thanks jkeny very nice radio station to relax. I got it working on Foobar 2000 (beta1) and I think quality is a bit better than VLC player. I just compared on my PC with Grado headphones.
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Interesting: I'm sure I must have installed foobar at some point, but it didn't show up yesterday. I must rummage!

jaybee, my PC has digital out also from the soundcard, but that doesn't overcome the problem of getting it to the hi-fi: that's where the Squeezebox Touch would come in (if it were available).