The Bargain Thread!

fergus

Re: The Bargain Thread!

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Somebody may be interested in this 17 CD set....

£15.96 + postage from Amazan UK, link below....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JJONQKY/
I am I love her Mozart piano sonata box set. Thanks Fergus.
She is excellent Seán; that 17 CD set is in my Ponder Pouch for the moment!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

The Guadier Ensemble's beautiful performance of Schubert's Octet is still available on Amazon for the princely sum of one penny.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Gaudie ... r+ensemble
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:The Guadier Ensemble's beautiful performance of Schubert's Octet is still available on Amazon for the princely sum of one penny.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Gaudie ... r+ensemble

That is great value for anyone that does not have it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
james

Post by james »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Ellington ... edy+bartok

Nigel Kennedy plays Bartok and Ellington .. second-hand from £0.01
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Oh I can't believe this absolute definitive perusal of the French organ repertoire is selling for 24 pounds on mdt today.
alain.jpg
alain.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I bought this a year ago when it came out (at full price and it was still a bargain) and it is truly wonderful. Not alone do you get generous amounts of Franck, Widor and Vierne, but it's a wonderful survey from Couperin through to Messiaen, including gems like the Dandrieu Noel, the Boellmann Suite Gothique and a cheeky Gigout toccata. Best of all, it has the complete Jehan Alain (her brother, tragically killed in the Second World War), who is a terribly interesting composer combining polytonalities, African rhythms and Gregorian chant. And as if that isn't enough, it's all played on the classic French organs - an orgy of Cavaille-Colls. Each CD comes wrapped in a sleeve with a photo of the respective organ to lust after.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Abminor, I've ordered that now, although I checked around and it's even cheaper new from zoverstocks on Amazon. I nearly ordered this a while ago at double this price. Anyway, worth it for the Alain pieces alone I think. Great find!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Diapason wrote:Thanks Abminor, I've ordered that now, although I checked around and it's even cheaper new from zoverstocks on Amazon. I nearly ordered this a while ago at double this price. Anyway, worth it for the Alain pieces alone I think. Great find!
Great stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with this one. I look forward to your feedback as you work your way through the set. Re (Jehan) Alain: I love his music even if sometimes it is almost naive in its originality. One wonders what he might have produced had he not died so early. I played his Litanes as an exit voluntary on Christmas Day 2011 in honour of his centenary. Boy did I get some strange looks.....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I wonder do we know each other...?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Diapason wrote:I wonder do we know each other...?
I don't believe so, but that's the beauty of this forum. There aren't many places in Ireland where you could mention 'Alain' and have some shared experience rather than a rapid exit and a parting shot: 'what was that strange piece - why didn't you play the Widor' ?
james

Post by james »

Six CD's of Orff for teaching music to children ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carl-Orff-Gunh ... ca+poetica

I have just orderred it inspired by Ivor and his comments on Brexit and the pound falling (Thanks Ivor !!)

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]