The Bargain Thread!

fergus

Re: The Bargain Thread!

Post by fergus »

While looking for a suitable picture to post in the Listening thread I found this current bargain....

Yours for only £0.01 + P&P if you are quick on Amazon UK!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Simon: any thoughts on this one....

....not exactly a bargain but going relatively cheaply for a limited time.

Edit: the link would be helpful!!!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... um/6786569
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Can I justify another set of complete Sweelinck keyboard music? Maybe...!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Can I justify another set of complete Sweelinck keyboard music? Maybe...!
Do you know of the artist Simon? I have not come across him before.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I don't know the name at all. Wasn't fond of his ornamentation as the beginning of the Fantasia Chromatica, but it's probably not fair to judge a 6 CD set on a 30 second sample!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I don't know the name at all. Wasn't fond of his ornamentation as the beginning of the Fantasia Chromatica, but it's probably not fair to judge a 6 CD set on a 30 second sample!
As a matter of interest, what complete set would you recommend Simon?
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:Simon: any thoughts on this one....

....not exactly a bargain but going relatively cheaply for a limited time.

Edit: the link would be helpful!!!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... um/6786569
I can warmly recommend the following superb recordings by Berben of repertoire by Hassler and Bach. He is a very fine musician.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm not sure what I'd recommend, tbh. I've got this one which I admire greatly even if I don't always love it, but it doesn't seem to be available. I haven't researched many other options, but as always, I'm hard to please when it comes to organ recordings!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I'm not sure what I'd recommend, tbh. I've got this one which I admire greatly even if I don't always love it, but it doesn't seem to be available. I haven't researched many other options, but as always, I'm hard to please when it comes to organ recordings!

Thank you for that Simon. Interestingly I see that the music is played by a number of different musicians.
mcq

Post by mcq »

The vocal works have been comprehensively documented on Glossa.  There are very fine (and inexpensive) single disc overviews of the harpsichord works by Glen Wilson on Naxos and Pieter-Jan Belder on Brilliant Classics.  (There's also a selection on Chandos performed by Robert Woolley.)  Hopefully Ton Koopman's overview of the keyboard works on Philips will be reissued one day.  Gustav Leonhardt's single disc overview of the organ works is mandatory listening but perhaps the most promising complete edition of the organ works is that by Harold Vogel on MDG.  However, I am very much tempted by Berben's set on Aeolus.  The combination of a fine musician and a label with good production values should be a guarantee of quality.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.