DIY Components - Furutech

Andy S

DIY Components - Furutech

Post by Andy S »

I have decided to try some Furutech components in my cable produts as I have experienced some
installation problems recently with Wattgate IEC Plugs.

I contacted Furutech in Tokyo to see if they were interested in supplying me on an OEM basis and although they were they require a minimum of 100 units per shipment which isn't feasable for me so I was referred to their distributor in the UK.

I now have access to all the Furutech range of products at good prices, so I am going to try the
FI-11Ag (Silver Plated) IEC and the FI-28R (Rhodium Plated) IEC plugs on my mains cables to see how they compare to the Wattgate versions.

In addition, they have an excellent audiophile Fig 8 connectors available in Gold Plated or Rhodium Plated versions, so I have ordered one of each of these to try out on my Fig 8 Cables.

I know a few guys on the old forum were interested in DIY so if anyone is looking for high quality components to use in cable projects I will be happy to pass on the discount I receive from the likes of Furutech on components to Forum members.

I can see myself ordering stuff every month so shipping costs should be reasonable from the UK.

Regards.

Andy
Fran
Site Admin

Re: DIY Components - Furutech

Post by Fran »

Nice one Andy. I have only one of the wattgates and yes, the body of them is huge!

the furutech ones look great - are they as good on the inside?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Fran

Just got in my consignment of Furutech products to compare to the Wattgate ones I currently use on my cables and I have to say from a construction point of view the Furutech IECs trounce the Wattgates. They are just as big as the Wattgate equivalents but just more solidly built and feel lest plasticy!

I haven't tried these on any cables yet, I plan to make up some cables when I get in a new consignment of silver wire and send them in for review!

Regards.

Andy
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, that would be great!!

I look forward to it!

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hey Andy...

I have to ask..... have you ever dipped your toes into the world of building your own stuff (i.e. preamps, phonostages etc etc)?

Fran
chris

Post by chris »

I'm into building stuff and could do with some others to compare notes with. So far I have 3 way speakers, a valve buffered chip amp and a dac.
Andy, how much are the connectors costing?
Chris.
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Chris

I have access to all Furutech products at trade prices, what connectors would you be interested in?

The trade prices are approx. 50% of the UK RRP plus VAT at 17.5% plus postage which depends upon the value of the order.

Let me know and I will give you an idea of pricing.

Regards.

Andy
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Welcome on board Chris.

There's a few diyers here, myself included. I'll send you a pm later...

Fran
Smashey

Post by Smashey »

Hello Fran et al

First of all sorry for hijacking this post as it's not really related to Furutech, is it just power connectors they supply btw?

Any experience with DIY Phono amps? I might be interested in putting together a MM phono stage. I know there's a huge range of low cost well performing units out there but they all seem to rely on "Wall Wart" PSU's and that troubles me a bit, especially when dealing with such low level signals.

Cheers - Mike
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Smashey wrote: First of all sorry for hijacking this post
No worries on that score... take us to Cuba if you want! I've never understood those forums that will intervene or even lock a thread if it goes off-topic. Real conversations don't happen in straight lines, or at least interesting ones don't.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable