Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by tony »

Not convinced they have it fully stable yet. Tried again tonight and back to the auld MQn yoke.
Settings were the same but wasn't working. Didn't have time or inclination to adjust settings
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Listened to a lot of 16 44 tracks on Beta1 last night and it sounded really magical, beautifull female voice reproduction.
I think i properly heard Fleetwood Mac's Rumors last night for the first time, Mick Fleetwood properly tested the Quad panels!

Before I began listening I wired in one of those Chinese DC Regulators recommended by Nige on to one of the 5v lines feeding the SSD's in preparation for the Memory Voltage bypass.
I was beginning to think it may have done something to the system grounding to make everything sound so good but eventually sanity prevailed and I went with JPlay6 as the reason!

I just hope they do not dumb it down to get it to work with a streaming solution before final release as it sounds real good to me at the moment.

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Listened to a lot of 16 44 tracks on Beta1 last night and it sounded really magical, beautifull female voice reproduction.
I think i properly heard Fleetwood Mac's Rumors last night for the first time, Mick Fleetwood properly tested the Quad panels!

Before I began listening I wired in one of those Chinese DC Regulators recommended by Nige on to one of the 5v lines feeding the SSD's in preparation for the Memory Voltage bypass.
I was beginning to think it may have done something to the system grounding to make everything sound so good but eventually sanity prevailed and I went with JPlay6 as the reason!

I just hope they do not dumb it down to get it to work with a streaming solution before final release as it sounds real good to me at the moment.
suppose i should try the beta

i hope you're not expecting the chinese regulator to match ph supplies

what are you using to power the reg?
that will have quite an effect too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I'm using Beta 2(3 is out now I think) and it sounds very good and plays everything. They fixed a bug which made it stop after cache mem was full. When I was trying to do this I was able to stop Jplay streamer to no ill effect so hopefully any accomodation of streaming won't have any effect on SQ. Sound is excellent and everything works.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote: what are you using to power the reg?
that will have quite an effect too
Using one of the high ampage 5v lines on the PH supply which supplies the SSD's, I use one of the 5v lines to supply both OCXO's and the second one was just supplying OS & Music SSD's so low draw there.
I was worried in case the Chinese Reg might interfere with SSD's but listening last night all sounding great, might not be the same when I finally get a load on the Reg, i have a second Reg in case i need to double up to get enough amps for memory!!

I now have Teradak Linear PS, spare Gigabyte Mobo, Memory and just waiting on another i7 haswell so I can experiment with the memory mod on this separate backup build.

Post by nige2000 »

Chinese reg might be only adding capacitance
it could do harm as well as good

I find two lifepo4 cells are 5v are good to benchmark from with ssds
even two cells at 6.6v into the Chinese reg to make 5v should be good

the important bit is to protect the ssd from other pc noise

got the jplay beta will try later
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jplay 6 beta 3 much is improved probably as close as jplay has come to mqn
had to set to 0.5 pc buffer and 1 hrz to get good sound
raising these settings everthing became loose

anyway overall mqn is cleaner more controlled (bass) better dynamic response and lower noise
im still on mqn wasapi

but jplay has the interface

all in all a good bit of work

why cant i go lower than 0.5 sec pc buffer?
i get all upset if i cant get the lowest settings:)
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nige, you can go lower if you raise the DacLink freq to over 80Hz. Some guy has it at 0.01secs and 350Hz and that's his favourite but mine won't play at those numbers. I'm using 0.5sec and 2.5Hz, it will play at 1Hz but not for DSD128 so I set it for something that works for all. Don't forget to set up for Single PC at 2 locations in registry, one in Current User/Software/Jplay6 and one in Local Machine / Software/ Jplay 6
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Also try Hibernate, never been an advocate in the past but seems to improve sound on this new version for me anyway.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hey lads,

I think we should move this thread into the CA section - Ok?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try