Anyone tried JPlay?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: Anyone tried JPlay?

Post by Sligolad »

OK here Fran.

Post by Ken Moreland »

Cool.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

And after that brief interruption, its now back to normal programming....

carry on as normal!
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Nige, you can go lower if you raise the DacLink freq to over 80Hz. Some guy has it at 0.01secs and 350Hz and that's his favourite but mine won't play at those numbers. I'm using 0.5sec and 2.5Hz, it will play at 1Hz but not for DSD128 so I set it for something that works for all. Don't forget to set up for Single PC at 2 locations in registry, one in Current User/Software/Jplay6 and one in Local Machine / Software/ Jplay 6
KM
ok changed it to single pc in registry it has certainly helped
had a little hassle with other jplay settings not playing etc
but didnt spend much time on it
will try again with reboots etc
for me so far theres still a substantial gap between mqn and jplay

hibernate helps too but makes it difficult to a-b test

whats supposed the most challenging settings?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Surprised to hear you are finding a substantial gap between MQN wasapi and JPlay6 Nige, but then again your hearing was always better than mine!
I have only compared the KS version of MQN to JPlay6 in Server Core mode.
I have a Minimal Server VHD I might try and load and see if I can hear a difference between MQN wasapi and JPlay6.

Regarding most challenging settings I think like Ken mentioned it all depends on drivers and DACs, I cannot run high DAC Link figures even with high buffers using Amanero Drivers, could be different with Thesycon drivers for Meitner but I do not have that available at the moment.

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Surprised to hear you are finding a substantial gap between MQN wasapi and JPlay6 Nige, but then again your hearing was always better than mine!
doubt that
it is close
but two a-b comparisons its easily recognizable
im using the soekris r2r dac for testing its extraordinarily detailed with the nos filter probably helps splitting the hairs so to speak its still got some other stuff to iron out but its good for testing
I have only compared the KS version of MQN to JPlay6 in Server Core mode.
I have a Minimal Server VHD I might try and load and see if I can hear a difference between MQN wasapi and JPlay6.
i didnt try vs ks mqn but from memory ks mqn would have been closer sq to wasapi mqn than jplay, i think sbgk may have coded ks to be a smoother presentation (to take out a detail digital glare caused by regular pc/dac noise and jitter) to suit most unmodded pc configs

Regarding most challenging settings I think like Ken mentioned it all depends on drivers and DACs, I cannot run high DAC Link figures even with high buffers using Amanero Drivers, could be different with Thesycon drivers for Meitner but I do not have that available at the moment.
so any setting u get working with the amanero should be achievable
which settings have you tried?
imagine thesycon drivers will take lower setting dunno if that would translate to better sound or not over the amanero
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

With the Amanero driver i was limited to:
1Hz up to 40Hz, slightly higher and I could hear a little click like the DAC trying to lock and higher again no sign of any lock taking place no matter what time period i used.
0.5 sec and up worked OK with 1Hz up to 40Hz but higher settings did not seem to improve sound so I stayed with 0.5 sec.

Post by sbgk »

Don't understand how they can say the new version takes the timing off the dac and yet you still have to select a setting to make it work/sound better.

Why doesn't it just use the dac timing ?

What timing comes into play in this case anyway ?

USB is clocked to the convertor/dac clock
ks/wasapi get's a signal from the device to fill the next buffer, so no timing there.
the pc has a time slice to schedule resources to carry out tasks.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote: i think sbgk may have coded ks to be a smoother presentation (to take out a detail digital glare caused by regular pc/dac noise and jitter) to suit most unmodded pc configs
all ks does is allows the player to get closer to the driver, suspect it's the extra data copy and code in wasapi that gives it a harder sound. I get more detail from ks as well.

If you think that cpu noise affects the sq then ks has much less going on which should mean lower noise.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:If you think that cpu noise affects the sq then ks has much less going on which should mean lower noise.
Hi Gordon,
It is my experience that cpu noise has an impact on SQ. In the last weeks I have concentrated to measure and listen to different power solutions for my Audio PC. One step has been adding a single linear power device to the 12V for my CPU only. The enhancement could clearly be recognized:
The definition of single instruments in the room improved, the major change was the definition of the room regarding front and back. Single notes started filling a 3 dimensional room. In between I added a filter for additional improvement and finished some more steps. Nige has shown long before how much we can achieve with certain power. I need to update my signature, I think.

My 2 cents
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4