Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tapatrick

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by tapatrick »

Love that case you made too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Sometimes you got to wonder why you go to all the effort!!
Just received the SD all in one box from AliExpress today, had to pay €22 for customs to clear DHL which was quick.
All in less than €150 and it is some bargain.

Just plugged it in and it sounds very good out of the box and it is much bigger than i thought with a real good screen which is bigger and easier to see.
After listening to the Meitner with SD player this thing is not far away and may be knocking on the door for as good as with some hours on it but early days but blown away for what you can get for less than €150 so some euphoria at the moment :-)
Here is the link : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-11 ... autifyAB=0

Only issue so far is that it likes the Panasonic SLC card but does not like those cheaper white SLC cards we purchased recently!!

Some pics for comparison:

Last edited by Sligolad on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by randytsuch »

Sligolad wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:44 pm
Here is the link : https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 2834850684
It is just me, or is the link not working?
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Try this randy, seems the other link was from me being logged into my account.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-11 ... autifyAB=0

Post by randytsuch »

Sligolad wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm Try this randy, seems the other link was from me being logged into my account.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-11 ... autifyAB=0
OK, that one works.
Wonder how good it would sound with some mods?
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

randytsuch wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 pm Wonder how good it would sound with some mods?
I think it could be great as so far it has been amazing for the money, definitely best money spent ever in this crazy space.
What is crazy is that the SD SLC card cost more than this unit but the SLC card is worth it, saying that I have not tried a standard card yet.
There is definitely something very good to be had from SD playback once you get a good implementation and I think Nige has found one here.
No wonder LessLoss can charge $91k for a SD Card player https://www.lessloss.com/laminar-stream ... p-207.html

Did a quick back and forth last night against the Meitner with SD Player and the Big7 with SLC card playback and really difficult to pick a winner.

It even played a DSD track and it did sound good.

The white noise between some tracks (its on the standalone card player as well) I need to look into but if i remember correctly this could be related to tagging or something on some albums.
Some albums play fine with no noise between tracks.

Post by nige2000 »

so u got the lampi l7 going with sd card?

think the l7 and the new sd card/player dac combo would really benefit from reclocking and better clocks in terms of resolution

isit possible to configure those lt3045 modules to suit charging supercaps?
or are all the lt3045 chips just paralleled?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 am so u got the lampi l7 going with sd card?

think the l7 and the new sd card/player dac combo would really benefit from reclocking and better clocks in terms of resolution

isit possible to configure those lt3045 modules to suit charging supercaps?
or are all the lt3045 chips just paralleled?
Did not go after the lampi with SD Card player yet Nige, I am playing off SD card on a card reader through a USB network extender into the lampi.
Will go after it eventually just to see how the single ended triode affects the sound, maybe some tubes will add something!!
Already have the reclocker with clocks soldered and ready to go, waiting on another SD Card board from China, as soon as i get it I will set to work on the lampi.

I do not know much about the technical side of these lt3045s as I just order them built but i do believe they are paralleled.
No idea about charging supercaps, last time i played with supercaps I blew a Paul Pang USB card :-((

Post by randytsuch »

Anyone tried these panny micro sd slc cards?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7560146
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

randytsuch wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:30 am Anyone tried these panny micro sd slc cards?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7560146
Hard to find much info on these but it does look like they should be a bit better than MLC but not sure they will complete with SLC, worth a punt though and I will try one at some point.

The pSLC can be considered as an extended version of the MLC. While MLC contains both fast and slow pages, pSLC only applies fast pages for programming. Since only fast pages are programmed, pSLC provides better performance, endurance and reliability as high as 10 times of MLC. Moreover, pSLC performs similarly to the SLC, yet it is more cost effective. It also supports the SMART tool, which is a Card Life Time Monitoring Tool. It provides information about data such as the Remaining Life Ratio, Abnormal Power on Count and Erase Count, Total Power Up Count, and much more.