Coffee Culture

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Ivor

Coffee Culture

Post by Ivor »

Colin Harmon (friend to many here) will host the official opening of his coffee shop on Middle Abbey Street this Sunday 24th.
I'm dropping in at about 2:00pm as that's when Stephen Leighton of HasBean will be giving a talk about coffee and it's wily ways. Anybody else goind in?

http://colinharmon.wordpress.com/
Hi All,

So as most of you already know we are hosting a coffee fair this Sunday 12-4 to officially launch Third Floor Espresso. We are going to be joined by Steve Leighton of Hasbean coffee, Norwegian Baritsa Champion Oda Misje Haug, Irish Cup Tasting Champion David Walsh, 2006 Irish Barista Champion Karl Purdy and many others.

On the day there will be brewing classes, flavour wheels, a Q&A session with Steve and probably a few beers. Its free entry and there'll be lots of coffees and brewing equipment on sale too.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Re: Coffee Culture

Post by Ivor »

I haven't seen it myself but I'm told there's a very good piece on Colin in the Irish Times Magazine today.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

It also announces the opening party, so maybe the world and his wife will be there!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Banker turned barista: Colin Harmon, a former investment banker turned coffee entrepreneur, is the reigning Irish barista champion. He finished fourth in the world championships in Atlanta last year despite being a relative newcomer to the industry.

“A year to the day after I started my first job as a barista, I was appearing in the finals of the World Barista Championships. The guy that won had about 20 years experience on me, so it was quite a shock to finish where I did,” Harmon says.

Since his world championship appearance, Harmon has been a freelance barista and coffee consultant, working in Italy, Austria, Spain, Norway, Germany and Japan.

He recently opened a modest coffee outlet, Third Floor Espresso, at 54 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1 (at the entrance to the Twisted Pepper), where he serves heavenly coffee, made on the espresso machine that was specially built for his world championship bid.

“I can adjust the temperature with a touch of a button to suit certain coffees and it is temperature-stable to ensure efficient brewing. I’ve had my grinders retro-fitted with digital timers and built to suit my needs. Our coffee grinders probably cost more than most cafes’ espresso machines.”

He also uses Japanese drip filters (as pictured above).

Harmon sources his beans from artisan roasters, and grinds fresh for every cup. “Our espresso is a seasonal blend that will change every three months. We’re currently on our winter espresso, “Frosty”, which is made up of a Bolivian Machacamarca, Brazilian Sao Judas and El Salvadorian La Illusion. It’s an incredibly approachable espresso, really sweet and fruity.”

Tomorrow he is hosting a launch party in the Middle Abbey Street shop, starting at noon, where customers can try different speciality coffees and meet some of Europe’s coffee experts including artisan roaster Steve Leighton of Hasbeen Coffee, Norwegian barista champion Oda Misje Haug, and Karl Purdy of Coffee Angel, who won the Irish barista championship in 2006.

Despite his perfectionist tendencies, Harmon’s coffee is cheaper than most – an 8oz cappuccino costs just €2. You can read his thoughts on coffee on his blog, dublinbarista.com.

tony

Post by tony »

Saw that article yesterday in the times. It certainly would be worth investigating. I cant get there today but will visit at some stage shortly.
I think Ivor you should try to gently encourage him to open a shop on the southside (between terenure and georges street would be fine) .
Seriously I hope he survives ok I think the epicurean centre does fine in abbey street but 3rd floor unit?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

does he sell coffee for using at home...???

I like the idea of someone else wading through all that stuff on hasbean and giving me a new recipe every three months....

kinda like handing your lotto ticket to Noel and saying

'..please me...'
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:does he sell coffee for using at home...???
Yep. He stocks Hasbean, Squaremile and a few other 'guest' coffees.

If you're looking for recommendations from the hasbean site I can heartily endorse...

El Salvador Finca Los Amates Bourbon Cup of Excellence 2009
Costa Rica Finca de Licho
"Frosty" Espresso Blend (for the winter like...)
Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama Bourbon Pulped Natural 2009-2010 Crop
£4.10

I'm at my desk looking at a 350g bag of Square Mile "Passeio Minas Gerais" 100% yellow bourbon natual pulped (Brazillian). Colin wasn't sure it was my kind of espresso so if I don't like it I can just close the bag and bring it back. Cool huh?

jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Ivor wrote:
jaybee wrote:does he sell coffee for using at home...???
Yep. He stocks Hasbean, Squaremile and a few other 'guest' coffees.

If you're looking for recommendations from the hasbean site I can heartily endorse...

El Salvador Finca Los Amates Bourbon Cup of Excellence 2009
Costa Rica Finca de Licho
"Frosty" Espresso Blend (for the winter like...)
Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama Bourbon Pulped Natural 2009-2010 Crop
£4.10

I'm at my desk looking at a 350g bag of Square Mile "Passeio Minas Gerais" 100% yellow bourbon natual pulped (Brazillian). Colin wasn't sure it was my kind of espresso so if I don't like it I can just close the bag and bring it back. Cool huh?
all good...

and will he grind it to your spec too....

I'd be happier with that!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:
and will he grind it to your spec too....

I'd be happier with that!!
probably. Derek might know.
To be honest if you're a serious caffine geek you'll want a good grinder. Expect to pay >€100 (once) but there's no comparison between fresh ground and pre-ground coffee.
Last edited by Ivor on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hawful spullink

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

He will indeed grind to your spec.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2