Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Post by rickmcinnis »

HYNES regulators are the result of more than a decade of evolution.

You could not get more proprietary than HYNES.

Now I can assure you he is not winding those transformers or making the enclosure ...

Can't wait to hear how nige2000's battery set up compares. One thing for sure the HYNES will have to be much better to justify the expense.

nige2000's battery scheme certainly requires more work than the ready made HYNES box!

You can buy the regulators separately and put them in your own box if you like.

I used one of his high current 12 volts regulators to power a RAKK DAC before moving on to the DDDAC1794. This was purchased a long time ago. Basically the same unit he came up with to power the ALTMANN DAC - Altmann recommended use of the OPTIMA Red Top Battery but many felt the HYNES bettered that big battery. Along with the convenience of not having to deal with chargers ...

ADDITION - Paul Hynes is one of the great fellows of audio. He has had some health difficulties in his family which has lead to his long delivery times. His integrity is beyond question and no doubt his regulators define the state of the art. For those addicted to AC there is nothing better.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Can we hook up this to tonys pc easily for a-b comparison?
I have it hard wired into my PC with the cables that came with it and I do not have another set of cables.

Just jumped on RS to see if I can get some XLR connectors we can wire up for Tonys at the weekend.
If I get them in time then it should not take too long to make up cables which we can plug into the back of the PS.
I have some Molex and SATA power connectors left over from my PPA order which can be used on the ends if needed.
yea if you could make up a spare set of leads that would be great
is likely farnell will have faster delivery than rs though

what are we testing ?
battery vs p hynes ps
ppa clks versus home brew
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

It was a hopeful naive question. http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page4.html
This is the regulators you are referring to? I suppose Nigel we can all buy one each and have testing night to see if 3 together
is the biz! We can have a look at Pearse's on saturday and after a listen the pencils might be sharpened.
Thanks for the history Rick I was aware there was some health issues and also that he lives in a very remote island I think off coast of
Scotland.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Can we hook up this to tonys pc easily for a-b comparison?
I have it hard wired into my PC with the cables that came with it and I do not have another set of cables.

Just jumped on RS to see if I can get some XLR connectors we can wire up for Tonys at the weekend.
If I get them in time then it should not take too long to make up cables which we can plug into the back of the PS.
I have some Molex and SATA power connectors left over from my PPA order which can be used on the ends if needed.
yea if you could make up a spare set of leads that would be great
is likely farnell will have faster delivery than rs though

what are we testing ?
battery vs p hynes ps
ppa clks versus home brew
Let me know Pearse if you want me to drop down to RS for anything. Not sure I think they open saturday morning in Rialto.
Re what are we testing I think whatever we can listen to on the day. We will have Hynes,my contraption and whatever you can bring Nigel. If it is easier for you just take what you need to bring mine up to your spec. Ken will bring his Nordost Heimdall interconnects and Pearse hopefully will bring his. That gives us three inputs with the same interconnects so hopefully makes switching easy.

BTW Have put it up as open meet so if any non computer men etc want to pop along just let me know you are coming. I have a CD player also but no TT I am afraid and to be honest a tt wouldn't work on the day due to the number of fiddly pc's and power supplies clogging up floor space
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I've got XLR plugs but not 4 pin plugs that would fit the sockets at the back of the Hynes. But really it's only two wires that is needed from each of those sockets pin 1(gnd) & pin 4(+ve supply) so may not be a difficult fit?

BTW, you won't get very far with analysing the Hynes PS - the chip IDs are scratched off most of the important ICs
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Should hopefully have the male 4 pin xlr's for Friday but will let you know if they do not arrive....I am sure we will come up with something.
I had hoped to have a 25mhz OCXO from Paul Pang for the Mobo but just got a reply it is only being shipped today so I will not see that for almost 2 weeks.
I ordered his Super SSD with OCXO as well but he has been having problems with it so this caused the shipping delay.

Looks like I will have to wait and see if he can get the super ssd working before I see one of those....never can have enough of those OCXO's!!!

Looks like both Paul Hynes and Lukasz have a full time job scratching IDs off ICs, their kit provided two of the most substantial improvements to my system though so I cannot complain.

Post by giant haystacks »

paul hynes in limited or whatever form of buisness you want to call it sadly or whatever way you could describe it went out of buisness over 10 years ago. and my friend was minus over £2000 -so it is great that he is getting big sums of money again .
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Sure wish all of you weren't so far away. Or rather that I was not so far away

I would greatly enjoy getting to know (all of) you and hearing your audio exploits.

Take care,

BY the way, Paul Hynes is English but moved his family to South Ulst many years ago, One of those Scots islands that have been known to have pictures of their beautiful beaches appear in advertisements for southern Pacific islands. Surprisingly tropical; supplied with warmth from the Gulf Stream. A great place to contemplate the best approach for turning AC into steady DC.

His regulators have always been expensive but there is nothing quite like them. Each one is individually tweaked to be as close to perfection as Paul has been able to achieve at the moment yours is made.

I have never tried his three pin ones but have had good experiences with the 12 volts "large one" and some medium sized +/-15 volts versions. I know what he is making these days are superior to the ones I own.

Being able to correspond with PH is part of what makes his products worth the money!
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

giant haystacks wrote:paul hynes in limited or whatever form of buisness you want to call it sadly or whatever way you could describe it went out of buisness over 10 years ago. and my friend was minus over £2000 -so it is great that he is getting big sums of money again .
This was due to a situation completely out of his control. He explained in detail what happened many years ago in AUDIO CIRCLE where he has a forum http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PH ... oard=170.0 I think it is in here somewhere along with other tidbits. I very well was told in a note - forgive me if this in not in there.

This forum was a rather late venture for him and as usual on US forums the same questions get asked ad nauseum.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

The ph supply chain is just as well known as the ps quality
The quality must be exceptional to sell with such long lead times and cost
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's