Listening Clubs

Sligolad

Re: Listening Clubs

Post by Sligolad »

If a room was sorted which is the most important bit for me I would have no issue trucking gear to it at least once a month to get things going.
If there was storage available at the venue I have plenty of gear gathering dust, might be a good venue to demo gear for those interested in upgrading or change.

I will throw out one idea to get people thinking:
We could setup a vote here on the forum monthly for a new or old album to play in full and free for all after that as regards music and discussion.

Post by panda2rom »

+1 Fran & Sigolad,

The room is the main / only concern...
Parking, good acoustic, allowed to make some noise, cost indeed.

A Parish center sounds like a good idea... the main room should have good acoustic in theory.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This really is worth thinking about. I wonder could I swing an area in the Knox Hall in Monkstown? The hall itself is too big, but there's a carpeted area off it that might be more suited. There's a kitchen for coffee making too, and parking across the road in the church. It's also near the Dart. Of course, there might be a fee. Hmmm...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Great to see a positive reaction to the idea... I think we all accept that there will be a small cost involved, €5 or €10 is well worth it. (€5 might not cover it all and at €10 I suspect we'd build a "kitty" to subsidise the next meetup - just thinking out loud). If you don't mind Simon perhaps you could sound them out? No pun intended.
Monkstown would be good, certainly accessible and seems practical. Can I make a case for Sundays? Evenings will be difficult for many and some us even have to work most Saturdays.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sundays probably best for me too.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Claus

Post by Claus »

Great development! I am currently on a sabbatical so I would be able to help out with anything, just let me know.

I was thinking it would be an option to set up a kind of "committee" to organise this. It would help focus everyone and have a core group organising with input from members. I think people would be happy to pay a small amount to take part. From what I know from danish clubs it seems to be popular to have a theme so that the meet up becomes focused and educational. Down the road obvious options could be to invite retailers, experts,producers and designers to give a talk (and demo if possible ).

We already have a huge amount of this going on informally on our forum so it would be easy to formalise a bit without ruining the craic.

Should we start a new thread dedicated to a TirNaHiFi Listening Club?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

+1 to everything mentioned here!!!

Something that might be an issue in some places is a requirement for insurance.... but lets see if we can get it off the ground without having to go there.

fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:+1 to everything mentioned here!!!

Something that might be an issue in some places is a requirement for insurance.... but lets see if we can get it off the ground without having to go there.

fran
like signing a 30 page disclaimer on diy night :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I had a quick word with the Parish Secretary in Monkstown, and she thinks there should be no problem in principle with us using the the smaller room in the Knox Hall on occasional Sunday afternoons. It's never free in the evenings apparently, but 99.9% of the time it's free on Sunday afternoons. There's nothing concrete yet as she's to run it by the rector, but she seemed confident.

In terms of cost, she said that heating is the big issue, and that she'd need to come back to me on charges. She suggested that 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon might lead to a charge of 100 Euro ish, possibly less in the summer. Is that too much for us?

Anyway, I said I'd get back to her in due course.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I love this idea.
Fair play to you Simon for following up.
€100 ? Reasonable for sure. I'd happily pay €10 to €15 for 3 hours entertainment and the craic.

If there was a surplus it might be saved up for future use. e.g. a community Record Cleaning machine LOL.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford