Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 pm
nige2000 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm anyone know of a good way to i2s switch so we can put a usb to i2s unit inside if so wished
I have plans to use one of these to do the I2S switching job - can switch 1 channel of I2S signals to either one of two I2S channels or the other way around
In other words a USB receiver with I2S out & a SD card (I2S out) can be switched into a single I2S in DAC.
Put a I2S reclocker just before DAC input & we don't have to worry about skew or jitter introduced by the switcher :)

TS3A44159PWR
looks good
have u sound tested it?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 am
nige2000 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm anyone know of a good way to i2s switch so we can put a usb to i2s unit inside if so wished
I have plans to use one of these to do the I2S switching job - can switch 1 channel of I2S signals to either one of two I2S channels or the other way around
In other words a USB receiver with I2S out & a SD card (I2S out) can be switched into a single I2S in DAC.
Put a I2S reclocker just before DAC input & we don't have to worry about skew or jitter introduced by the switcher :)

TS3A44159PWR
looks good
have u sound tested it?
Don't have these yet - coming on next order but reclocking of I2S should solve any fears about jitter/noise
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 am
nige2000 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 am

TS3A44159PWR
looks good
have u sound tested it?
Don't have these yet - coming on next order but reclocking of I2S should solve any fears about jitter/noise
shouldn't be too detrimental but hardly do any favours either

im always amazed at the sensitivity of the i2s

ive a soekris with fixed clk into lvds potato ff xmos usb
theres a difference in sound between the ff been clocked with the soekris fpga clk and the xmos clock
small but noticeable in the realm of not sure which is "better" but it is definitely "different" kinda area
funniest thing of all is this gets reclocked again in fpgs.... WTF....
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 am shouldn't be too detrimental but hardly do any favours either

im always amazed at the sensitivity of the i2s

ive a soekris with fixed clk into lvds potato ff xmos usb
theres a difference in sound between the ff been clocked with the soekris fpga clk and the xmos clock
small but noticeable in the realm of not sure which is "better" but it is definitely "different" kinda area
funniest thing of all is this gets reclocked again in fpgs.... WTF....
Yea, I had the same head-scratching WTF moment when I tired USB isolation before the USB receiver - it significantly improved the sound even though the I2S coming out of the USB receiver was already synchronously reclocked
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Or why i2s isolation doesn't do a whole pile of good whereas usb isolation does great work
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm One point to note for users - the SD player doesn't handle tagging of WAV files - it expects raw WAV file - you get a burst of white noise if your WAV files have tags.

It handles Flac file tags fine

One way to overcome this is to convert tagged WAV files to 'WAV without tags' when putting files on SD card. Many programs have this facility
Most of my stuff is in WAV format ,mainly converted from FLAC by DBpoweramp. When I look at ID tags in properties for all recordings I'm seeing content like title,album, year , genre etc. Any music files that people have gotten from me will have ID tags. Have the front runners in SDplayer on this forum experienced white noise with any of my stuff ? I would think twice before having to do a lot of conversion.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I've heard it a few times but it's rare enough which doesn't seem right that it's just to do with tags and dbpoweramp
Needs more investigation

Doesn't particularly bother me short term
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I recall there were blasts of white noise previously with wtfplay but Fryderyk was able to fix the cause, sounds a bit like that I think. Maybe some sort of muting between tracks can be figured.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm I recall there were blasts of white noise previously with wtfplay but Fryderyk was able to fix the cause, sounds a bit like that I think. Maybe some sort of muting between tracks can be figured.
Maybe Fryderyk can pitch in with what he found was at the bottom of this issue.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

yis will likely think ive lost me marbles, (if ye have not already)
i think the wav conversion from flac sounds better than the flac file itself, cleaner, more dynamic, detailed