Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this afternoon to Mary Halvorson's latest release, The Maid With The Flaxen Hair.  This one took me entirely by surprise whilst browsing in Tower recently, arriving with no pre-release fanfare which is surprising when you consider that her musical partner on the album is Bill Frisell.  Recorded in a single day earlier this year in April and released on John Zorn's label, Tzadik, it's an album of guitar duets, a tribute to the guitarist Johnny Smith, consisting of standards that he loved to play and concluding with his original composition, Walk Don't Run.  

I assumed that Halvorson would take the same approach to standards as Derek Bailey in his solo masterpiece, Ballads, but I was entirely wrong.  The pastoral influence of Frisell is strongly in evidence here which makes it Halvorson's most inviting recording and one that might well introduce her to a larger audience.  It is subtly nuanced and delicately phrased music-making, touched by moments of enchantment and beauty and unforced eloquence.  Their haunting version of "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" is a personal highlight  -  reflective, wistful and deeply moving.  The chemistry between the two musicians is quite remarkable.  

Frisell has written a lovely liner note for the album, detailing the time he spent with Johnny Smith as a student and the wisdom imparted in the lessons they shared together.  He then goes on to describe the first time he saw Mary Halvorson play guitar and how hard the force and intelligence of her playing struck him.  He speaks touchingly of "the "purity, directness, honesty, in her touch, her tone" and how deeply she reminded him of Smith.  He closes on a note of humility, mentioning that he remains an eternal student of the guitar, still "nowhere close to getting it right", but inspired by the musical lessons of Johnny Smith and the career progression of Mary Halvorson to "keep on trying". This note of humility is strongly echoed in the sole credit of the album to Halverson alone with no apparent mention of Frisell's contributions.

A charming, utterly beautiful album.  A quiet masterpiece.  Very strongly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

all recent second hand vinyl. Mint copies. Just lovely.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Ivor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm all recent second hand vinyl. Mint copies. Just lovely.
Where did you manage to find those Ivor?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Ivor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm all recent second hand vinyl. Mint copies. Just lovely.
Where did you manage to find those Ivor?
A facebook page, Vintage Vinyl Group. It's a closed group but everyone is welcome.
Mostly rock and pop but from time to time jazz and blues crop up. Average price is 5 - 10 Euro so you can take a punt on an oddity or grab a long gone memory for very little outlay. Quality varies but are priced accordingly.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Ivor wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm A facebook page, Vintage Vinyl Group. It's a closed group but everyone is welcome.
Mostly rock and pop but from time to time jazz and blues crop up. Average price is 5 - 10 Euro so you can take a punt on an oddity or grab a long gone memory for very little outlay. Quality varies but are priced accordingly.
Ah very good. Pity though, I deleted my facebook account. I don't miss it at all, apart from groups like this. Not many places left to find a bargain on LPs.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

been listening to Tubby Hayes - Live at Ronnie Scott's (Gearbox Records). Have a listen...

https://soundcloud.com/gearbox-records/ ... et-live-at
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I picked up this gem in Freebird Records... Butcher Brown - Camden Sessions, cut direct to disk. Some great jazz funk playing on this, enjoy! Fabulous sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wVpyIR-uk
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

If you like "Officium" this is a similar outing.