Record flattening machine?

Thinkfloyd

Record flattening machine?

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Any chance anyone out there has some sort of record flattening contraption? I know machines like the Orb exist and that there are paid services available, but hoping there's some friendly tnh member out there with ideas.

I finally got my hands on my signed, limited edition copy of Therapy?'s greatest hits Abbey Road session. It has been locked in my office's mail room for months. Apparently, it was also thrown under a bus.
IMG_20200813_012827.jpg
IMG_20200813_012827.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Record flattening machine?

Post by Fran »

There are youtube vids I have seen before that show how to do it, but you'd want a thermometer and I reckon practice on something throwaway....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljRaBiZLtGk

Do or do not, there is no try
tweber

Post by tweber »

http://www.vinyllpcare.com/charges
Probably an expensive venture but maybe these guys could help if the DIY approach fails?
I know nothing about them but saw their advert in my local music shop.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:05 pm http://www.vinyllpcare.com/charges
Probably an expensive venture but maybe these guys could help if the DIY approach fails?
I know nothing about them but saw their advert in my local music shop.
That's good to know! My new Hedvig Lp arrived badly warped. The replacement was also badly warped. I now have two warped copies (I refused to send my first copy back). The good thing is, (you won't believe this) , Side 2 of the first Lp is flat and vice verse for the second copy. See where I'm going ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I have corresponded with the guy who runs Vinylcare for a good while before he set it up and he has gone to great lengths to get the best record flattener and record cleaning machine out there. He is really into this aspect of the good old vinyl LP. Not sure what he charges, but he could be worth a try!
Thor

Post by Thor »

Would there be any interest in a group purchase of one of these (with Groovy Pouch)? Anybody over in the States on any kind of regular basis?

https://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

Google suggests it seems to be pretty effective in most cases.
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:36 pm I have corresponded with the guy who runs Vinylcare for a good while before he set it up and he has gone to great lengths to get the best record flattener and record cleaning machine out there. He is really into this aspect of the good old vinyl LP. Not sure what he charges, but he could be worth a try!
Just heard back from Eugene there, and it would be either €15 or €20 depending on how many goes it takes to flatten it, and based on the picture he reckons it'd work. Going to give it a go and see how we get on.

Cheers for the replies everyone, I'll follow up and let you see the results.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
Cyndale wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:36 pm I have corresponded with the guy who runs Vinylcare for a good while before he set it up and he has gone to great lengths to get the best record flattener and record cleaning machine out there. He is really into this aspect of the good old vinyl LP. Not sure what he charges, but he could be worth a try!
Just heard back from Eugene there, and it would be either €15 or €20 depending on how many goes it takes to flatten it, and based on the picture he reckons it'd work. Going to give it a go and see how we get on.

Cheers for the replies everyone, I'll follow up and let you see the results.
If anybody can fix it he can, best of luck!