Online vinyl purchasing

Ivor

Re: Online vinyl purchasing

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:13 pm That sounds good anyway. I'll wear a mask
Close enough to halloween by the time it ships...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

I was thinking about this one, but I'm expecting that they'll all be rubbish DOL pressings, digital cut to vinyl.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:42 am I was thinking about this one, but I'm expecting that they'll all be rubbish DOL pressings, digital cut to vinyl.
Here is what Acoustic Sounds says...

http://news.acousticsounds.com/post.cfm ... -a-bad-rap
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Can i just point out it's an assumption that this offer is all DOL or similar labels. We don't actually know that. I also know that some of the labels mentioned, WaxTime being one, do some really good pressings. The attraction of this offer is very much "at that price" you can't go far wrong.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

I'll give you that - WaxTime are not too bad. Good physical pressings at least, but I'm not sure what the source quality is like.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Here is what has been said on Discogs about them...

https://www.discogs.com/group/thread/761842
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A balanced comment from down that thread
Europe's copyright laws are different than those in the U.S. Under EU law (as amended in 2011), any sound recording that was released before the end of 1962 is in the public domain. Which means that it is perfectly legal for anybody in Europe to copy, reproduce, market, and sell these recordings. In addition, nearly all these public domain labels press their albums at gzvinyl in the Czech republic on 180-gram vinyl. The jackets on the whole are well done. The overall production quality is very good.

That said, you can certainly argue that the sound quality is not always the best. Since the labels are not required to pay a licensing fee or get permission from the rights holder, they do not have access to the original master tapes. Public domain repressings are almost certainly sourced from digital files. However, most LPs are cut from digital sources, and they can sound very good. I have about 30 different public domain repressings of classic jazz albums, and the quality ranges from excellent to so-so. None of them is terrible. The jackets are well done, and all of the vinyl is flat and quiet.

I've seen a lot of negative comments about public domain vinyl releases which I don't think are accurate. I absolutely agree that if you want the highest quality sound possible and have a healthy budget, you will be happier with an original pressing (or repressing), a Japanese reissue, or a remastered edition from a US audiophile label. However, for most classic jazz titles, these will set you back anywhere from $25 to $1,000. If your budget is limited, or you just want to have a vinyl copy of some rare jazz album that is very difficult to find at any price, then public domain copies can be a good choice. I wrote a blog post [http://vinyldiscovery.blogspot.com/2019 ... panam.html] where I compared the sound quality of nine of the public domain labels if you are interested to read more.
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:46 pm A balanced comment from down that thread
Thanks Fran, balanced, informed and unbiased.

Thor

Post by Thor »

Somebody suggested that the offer is overstocks from this - certainly all the albums in the Zaavi advert seemed to be in this series.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/d ... 52/page-45
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'd be delighted if so. Properly licensed and interesting selection of things I'd actually buy. Time will tell.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2