Quiet competence or occasional magic?

Sligolad

Re: Quiet competence or occasional magic?

Post by Sligolad »

Glad to hear your feedback Steve as I stumped up for the Pass INT-250 yesterday as a birthday present to myself, so looking forward to getting it soon.
Did not realise the size and weight of it until I did some more research today, heavier and larger than I thought from the pics.

Post by Diapason »

Well happy birthday to you! Nice one.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oh well done Pearse! And Happy Birthday!

Yes, it's a real cracker. Built like an absolute brick ****house. Weighs a ton. But I think looks very well. It's sonics are superb. Just so natural and airy. With grip as needed. Really made me sit up and take notice.

Hope you love it too!
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Si,

Far from me to give advice on hi-fi but you always have had exceptionally well thought of kit in your system. Rather than buy another 'box' to replace the box that is there, why not look at the issue from a completely different perspective.

I have no actual experience with Vertex AQ 'accessories' but every review of their products has been entirely positive. It seems that even a basic cable or filter will improve your system sound. And subsequent upgrades or additions improve it further and further. Dealers in the products are rare enough but Audio Note in Bristol is one. A phone call might be the start of your system finally giving you the returns and the sound that you crave. These things are not cheap, anything but, but it is an alternative to the usual upgrade process. Which as we know often changes the sound without actually improving it.

Several years ago, there was a review of Vertex AQ kit on www.tnt-audio.com. Before you change anything on your system, it might be worth checking this out: https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/vertex_e.html
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's new to me, Rocker, and very interesting. Thank you!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi
This may be of. Some use a friend of mine in. Scotland has just set up on his own in the hi fi business and is now swearing by a amp made by a company called valvet from Germany
I have never heard them but all I would suggest is if he is saying it is that good then it will be.
Cheers
Alan
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I think there’s a Hegel H590 in Cloney’s which might be worth an audition.

In addition to a lot of very nice McIntosh gear.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

There's lots of tasty stuff on the go at the moment, and I'm intrigued by both the Hegel and (especially!) the McIntosh stuff, but I'm trying to resist spending too much. Of course I can already feel the budget creep kicking in...

It's kinda not the same without the ability to pop into the shop and kick tyres though. Takes some of the fun out of it.

I'm still not sure how much my speakers can offer, so I'm tempted to go down the dangerous road of borrowing something really good (i.e. expensive) to see what they can do. Maybe a McIntosh would be a good idea there. I'll be remortgaging the house next.
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 pm There's lots of tasty stuff on the go at the moment, and I'm intrigued by both the Hegel and (especially!) the McIntosh stuff, but I'm trying to resist spending too much. Of course I can already feel the budget creep kicking in...

It's kinda not the same without the ability to pop into the shop and kick tyres though. Takes some of the fun out of it.

I'm still not sure how much my speakers can offer, so I'm tempted to go down the dangerous road of borrowing something really good (i.e. expensive) to see what they can do. Maybe a McIntosh would be a good idea there. I'll be remortgaging the house next.
Have you not broken all your toes kicking stuff in Cloney's Simon? :)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I like to surprise them by buying something once a decade or so...