What to look for in a LP12?

naasbiker

Re: What to look for in a LP12?

Post by naasbiker »

Hi Claus,
my advise is to go for a decent spec one as it will cost you more later to upgrade. Try to get one with minium the ittok arm, circus bearing & lings PSU. You will not pick up a circus bearing upgrade or lingo secondhand as nobody splits these from their existing decks and new, they really cost. Both make a major improvement on the basic deck. The circus bearing kit is identified by a small hole in the centre of the spindle & the lingo is the seperate box PSU. I have often seen this spec LP12 for sale for a relatively small amount more that the basic deck and the improvements are huge. Correct set-up is the key & Cloney is the way to go but my advise is still to wait for a decent spec model if not in a hurry.
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

the linn can cost a lot if you start to upgrade anything linn 2nd hand is expensive and sought after
i would not start the spending route
the ittock arm was made by jelco who also made the mission mechanic arm which is known to be a great arm with suspended record players
maybe a pink triangle would be a cheaper option
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Claus,

In my humble opinion you RP 3 is a good turntable anyway... so I would be reluctant to upgrade... just for the sake of upgrading.

Before committing to a decision I would suggest meeting up with some of the other forum members who have Linn TT's and carry out an audition, bring some of your own LP's etc. There are quite a few forum members with LP12's and I am sure they would be most obliging.

As mentioned by other members, the Linn seems to have a pedigree with a large range of upgrade options etc, so it might be best to be fully familiar with what is the upgrade path and how much it would cost you over the next 10 years or so.

What cartridge and phono stage are you using at the moment? Because once you migrate to a LP12, you may want to start looking at these areas as well.

On the aesthetics front you would be migrating from the Rega which is very contemporary to a Linn which has more classic looks.

If you are in the lucky position to have money in your wallet and are seriously contemplating a jump to a different TT, then I would recommend taking your time.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

How about this.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-EKOS-SE- ... 35c38f0166

A mere snip at the price!!!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Claus

Post by Claus »

I have just upgraded to a Dynavector 20x2 L cartridge and it sounds great with my P75mkII phono stage. I am actually very happy with my current setup: The Rega Planar 3 is easy to setup, fuzz free and sounds good. But I just feel that the turntable is the weak part of my system and it is the next thing I would like to upgrade. I don't think I want to spend more than 2000 on a table with arm, but if I could get a real improvement in a 1000 or 1500 euro Linn, I would be tempted. Mostly because of the support (ie. Cloney) and that I never heard one sounding bad. I will let Noel know that I am looking for one and take my time and see what comes in.... Thanks for all you advise it has been very helpful!
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

there is a man in ardara donegal has the ekos se arm and very expensive cartridge and has the full spec lp12 i will ask him how much he has spent on it
he also has the linn cd12 cd player which was very expensive also i dont know how this compares with all the newer machines
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Seeing as you aren't dead set on the lp12, I'll throw in my 2c:

Lenco L75 with a little diy into a heavy plinth (€300)
Remaining funds directed towards a good arm: roksan tabriz or artemiz, sme 5, triplanar or linear tracker (€500-1000)

You already have a fine cart +phonostage. Spend €200-300 on a bunch of records.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Hi
Just to add to Frans comments.
About 8 months ago I started considering a new TT. Considered both second hand LP12 and the ClearAudio Concept both around the €1200. Given where LP12 prices were a few years back I always baulked at it due to set up sensitivity etc.
Like you seeking some advice from the forum I followed Frans advice and purchased an old Lenco GL75 on ebay (about £80), stripped it down and built a new plinth. I added a Rega RB300 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge.
It was great fun building it. Still not finished, have to veneer and clean up the plinth but TT sounds great. The Lenco is built like a tank, heavy platter and simple motor.
If you enjoy taking on a project then this is a good route. It may take you time but you could always buy a cheeper system to fill the gap while you work on the project and sell at the end. Some good value Rega P3 out there.

Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Sounds like great advice guys! I will have a look around ebay etc for a Lenco. Is it only model L75 that is of use or will any other models do? Thanks a mill!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

No, they came in a range of different numbers. L75, 76 also goldring and leak delta too. Its the one with 16, 33, 45 and 78 speeds. heavy cast platter.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/ will have all you wanted to know...

Do or do not, there is no try